Desktop Won't Fit

Reaction score
I purchased my laptop 8 months ago with Windows 10 installed. Until recently, my desktop fit on the monitor screen. All of a sudden, my desktop and ALL my programs are too big for the monitor and about 1/4" is cut from all edges. I have done a system restore (twice) but that didn't resolve the issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Patty

Reaction score
Right click on the desktop go to Display settings. Go to advanced display settings
Go to resolution and see if you are on the recommended resolution. Try going one size smaller and see if that fixes the problem.
Say from 1920 by 1080 to 1680 by 1050 for example.

Reaction score
Thanks, Tim. I tried working with the Display Settings before I posted this issue and couldn't get anywhere. I did try following your (very clear) directions yesterday, but any of the other settings (I tried them all) distorted everything... The interesting thing here is that the setting I had chosen (1600 x 900) initially had been fine all this time (8 months). And suddenly, the desktop didn't fit on the monitor screen. It works fine on my laptop even now, but I have a separate monitor and this is where the problem is. I'm confused. Any other suggestions?
Patty

Reaction score
AHA! You have an external monitor plugged into your laptop? You didn't say. So have you been to display settings and selected that external monitor and played with sizes. I think you may have to turn off the internal screen while you are doing this. I had something similar recently with my laptop plugged into the big TV, which overscans so I had to fiddle with the sizes on that with the internal screen turned off.

Had the same thing with a desktp plugged in but that had an Nvidia card qand GeForce experience which properly understood two different monitors.

Reaction score
Well, no wonder I'm having trouble! =) I can see both monitors when I look at the Device Manager. However, when I go to the "Customize Your Display," and I click on "Detect," a red message appears that says "Didn't Detect Another Display." So what you recommend? I'm sorry to be so daft.
Patty

Ask a Question