Did sfc \scannow, now only black screen with cursor

Reaction score
Earlier on my Win 10 computer I did a command prompt, sfc\ scannow. (the scan wouldn't work at first, needed to run cmd as administrator-perhaps useful info?)
So I waited for the scan which fixed a problem, no idea what it was though.
Afterwards it said computer needed restarting so I did just that, but after the windows logo the screen just stays black with the cursor showing.
Ctrl alt del to bring up task manager does nothing at all. Tried simply restarting pc again but it's the same every time.
What can I do? :S

Is there anything I can do via the BIOS screen?

I did the scannow in the first place to perhaps fix the win10 issue with pc not always waking up after sleeping, which I read elsewhere.

Reaction score
1. Go to Safe Mode.
2. In safe mode, do a system restore. Pick a date BEFORE you did the sfc /scannow. Preferably 2 or 3 days before.

How to go to Safe Mode:
Restart computer >
at login screen, bottom right, click the Power icon >
press Shift key and HOLD > click Restart >
select Troubleshoot >
select Advanced Options >
select Startup Settings >
select Safe Mode >
select Safe Mode option, #4, 5 or 6.

How to do system restore :
At the search box next to Start button, type system restore > at the popup box, click Create a restore point > under System Restore heading, click System Restore > wait for it to load > click the option to choose another restore point, if you don't have the option to choose another restore point, just click Next > bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date when you did not have this problem, click that date > click Next > follow the prompts from then on...............

It will take some time. When done, it will/should restart back to your computer desktop. It will tell you if the restore is successful or not.

Reaction score
Thanks, but the thing is I can't do the
"Restart computer >
at login screen, bottom right, click the Power icon >"

part because the screen is black-can't see login screen, which is my problem in the first place.

Btw, sometimes when I restart the pc, the cursor arrow is normal but other times it looks like bigger lower res' one, as if the pc has loaded into safe mode on its own. I have it like that right now.

Reaction score
You are right.
My most sincere apology.
I should have read your post more carefully.
I have no answer for you right now. I'll try to look for one for you.

By the way, have you by any chance made a bootable media such as DVD or USB for reinstalling Windows 10 ?

Reaction score
No I haven't. :/

Don't know if it means anything but the pc was Windows 7 that I upgraded to 10 back in August.

Reaction score
clelso,
I cannot find an easier way to solve your problem. So, I have to show you the long way......

You obviously have access to another working computer.
Use the computer and download Windows 10 ISO file.
Burn it to a bootable media, DVD or USB with at least 4 GB capacity.
Take the bootable media to the non-working computer.
Go to the Bios and set the boot order from CD/DVD or USB depending which bootable media you will be using.
Insert the media > restart the computer. Computer should start booting from your media and begin installing Windows 10.

How to download Windows 10 ISO file :
Use the link below and download the Media Creation Download Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Run the Tool and select Upgrade this PC now option. That will start downloading Win 10 ISO file to your computer.
After downloaded, burn it to a DVD or USB.

How to burn an ISO file to a bootable media:
This link below is to install Windows DVD/CD Download Tool. It's given by Microsoft. So, it's 100% legit.
http://wudt.codeplex.com/
There are many other programs doing the same job. I gave you this program because of its simplicity. ANYONE can use it. I myself use it exclusively.

How to set boot order in Bios and reinstall Windows 10 with the bootable media :
Use the Function key to go to Bios.
Depending what make is your computer, usually the key to go to Bios are either F2, F10 or F12.
Shut down computer > restart computer,immediately and continuously tapping the F key until you see the Bios screen. If you are late hitting the F key, start over.
Use the arrow key to select Boot Sequence or words of that nature.
Use the arrows key to select boot from CD/DVD or USB depending which media you will be using.
Insert the media
Restart computer.
Computer should start booting directly from your media.
If so, just follow the prompts and reinstall Windows 10.
You may be asked to enter the product key. Click the SKIP option and continue.
Since you had Windows 10 installed before and presumably activated, activation after installation will be automatic.

Good luck.
Should you have questions at any stage of the instructions given above, please post back for clarifications.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thankyou, yep using my Vista laptop. So doing this will keep all my files and documents etc? I hope so.
May end up needing help with the boot sequence part, I don't know what they each are.
P0: ST1000DM003-
MultiCard Reader 1.00
P1: TSSTcorp CDDVDW- Ah I could use a dvd and this?

Wouldn't mind buying a USB stick ;p would either of the 3 work?

Reaction score
P0: ST1000DM003-
MultiCard Reader 1.00
P1: TSSTcorp CDDVDW- Ah I could use a dvd and this?

Wouldn't mind buying a USB stick ;p would either of the 3 work?

I have no idea what they are.
Sorry.

What is the make of your computer? Dell ? HP ? Acer ? etc etc etc.

Reaction score
F2 key for Asus.

1. Hold and press the F2 button
99bddce2-5e1c-49da-a054-48ff70fe1d41.jpg
then click the power button.

2. Release the F2 button
99bddce2-5e1c-49da-a054-48ff70fe1d41.jpg
then you shall see the BIOS screen.

When you are in the Bios screen, select Boot at the top.....

Asus bios - boot.jpg

That's all I can show you with screenshots as I do not have an Asus.

Reaction score
P0: ST1000DM003- is your internal hard disk, and should be the first boot option in the bios.
But, for safe mode, probably too late now, have you tried pressing F8 or, if not that Shift and F8 whilst booting. You must do it continuously and fast, to overcome the fast boot sequence in Windows 10.

Alternatively, just switching your computer of at the power input, if a stationary, or by holding down the power button for a few seconds on a laptop. You may need to do this a couple of times, and, with luck, you computer should launch into the repair options. If you are successful, we can take it from there.

Reaction score
P0: ST1000DM003- is your internal hard disk, and should be the first boot option in the bios.
But, for safe mode, probably too late now, have you tried pressing F8 or, if not that Shift and F8 whilst booting. You must do it continuously and fast, to overcome the fast boot sequence in Windows 10.

Alternatively, just switching your computer of at the power input, if a stationary, or by holding down the power button for a few seconds on a laptop. You may need to do this a couple of times, and, with luck, you computer should launch into the repair options. If you are successful, we can take it from there.
I've turned pc on so many times now, never any repair options, so could f8+shift get to the repair options?
Then, would reinstalling vis the ISO be the only answer if they don't come up?
Sorry I will have to try all this another time though.

Edit-Actually I just quickly tried shift+f8 which came up with the safe mode looking cursor but still black screen, so.

Last edited:

Ask a Question