Differences between performance of iCloudDrive.exe and OneDrive.exe

Reaction score
This may be commonly known, I don't know, but I have recently made the surprising observation (to me, at least), that if you use both iCloud and OneDrive for cloud storage as I do, the processes that do the up- and downloading for these, respectively iCloudDrive.exe and OneDrive.exe, appear to perform very differently from one another.

If, as I had, you had bought a relatively large amount of space on iCloud Drive - quite economical at £2.50/month for 200 gigs - and used it to store a large amount of backup files, then iCloudDrive.exe, when syncing, has the tendency to hog up to 50% of my CPU capacity. I found this very intrusive when it was reading or writing at the local drive, hindering the performance of other processes very significantly. It helped somewhat when I reduced iCloudDrive.exe's CPU priority to 'Low', but not by much. Having to do that every time after startup, just to get my PC to work anywhere as well as I know it can, was getting tedious, and sometimes it took minutes just to make the adjustment.

At the next backup I sent the same files instead to OneDrive - where space is less economical at £1.99/month for 50 gigs - and found that OneDrive.exe synchronises more slowly, taking much longer, and it is significantly less greedy for CPU power.

I'm guessing that somehow the throttles on CPU time-share consumption are configured differently in these processes. Not being a coder although having done some software development many years ago, I don't know precisely how that may be done, but I suppose that there will be a system call or two that allow control of that.

Does anyone have any instructive comments?

Ask a Question