Disable new Chrome tab popups

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Since the latest chrome update.....has anyone noticed that annoying balloon that shows up when you hoover your mouse over the tab of a open browser.

If you want to get rid of it along with that annoying volume.exe popup when watching a video and you need to adjust the volume.....here's how.

Type chrome://flags/ in a new tab and search for: Tab Hover Cards (there's 2) and disable first one. Then search for; Hardware Media Key Handling and disable. Then relauch browser to take effect.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks @bassfisher6522 - I hadn't noticed this change until you mentioned it. I'm ok with it, but it does look quite different!

What's the volume.exe popup though when watching a video? I've not seen that yet? I had a look on YouTube but couldn't replicate it.

Reaction score
Since the latest chrome update.....has anyone noticed that annoying balloon that shows up when you hoover your mouse over the tab of a open browser.

If you want to get rid of it along with that annoying volume.exe popup when watching a video and you need to adjust the volume.....here's how.

Type chrome://flags/ in a new tab and search for: Tab Hover Cards (there's 2) and disable first one. Then search for; Hardware Media Key Handling and disable. Then relauch browser to take effect.
Disabled both and it still the popups occure.

Reaction score
That third key is that the: (Hardware media key handling)? I did this one a long time ago and it works for the volumn problem but I can't find the other third key you mentioned.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
After going back in and checking it again....seems that google has removed the 2nd Tab Hover Cards or combined them into one.

If you're still having issues....uninstall chrome and download a fresh copy and reinstall. Then go into flags and make changes.

Reaction score
After reinstalling Chrome the two tabs appeared. Disabling them fixed it. Funny the volume popup stayed disabled. Thanks bassfisher6522, I thought I was really losing it in my old age.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Glad to here.
For what ever reason....some updates don't go as they should and a complete removal and reinstall is needed. It happens.

Reaction score
Chrome is slow to react. 5 min after my comments my volume popup's came back. Disabled them, should be good to go.

Ask a Question