Diskpart on new Install

Reaction score
I had a strange thing happen and it keeps happening. I am trying to install Win on my SSD and every time I've done this (don't ask) I know to do a CLEAN ALL in diskpart to erase all disks, partitions and volumes on the drive. Then after I convert it to GPT, I go to create my first partition (EFI) and after that's done I look at the partition and then look at the volume that attaches to it. Usually they are Part 0 and Vol 0 right?? Well mine wont line up. I have a Vol 0 that attaches to the System partition called CD/DVD with UDF format which makes my system volume be 1. I don't have a cd/dvd attached to pc at install so why does this volume get created? I can't delete it, I can't format it, I cant attach it (gives a vdisk error - which there IS NO VDISK). It should be simple but its not.. why???

And before anyone says who cares leave it, it is the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE. It leads to much bigger problems I'm not about to go into that would take days. OVERWRITE AND NOERR doesn't help.. any suggestions?

Reaction score
UDF is/was the file format of Nero software. I can’t expect you’re using this to format the drive.
Is there a reason why you’re not using the media creation tool to install Windows as this will create the partitions required.
Ensure there’s no CD/DVD in the drive.

Reaction score
I am using the media creation tool and yes I know it will do all that for me. I just wondered why that drive keeps popping up when it's not connected. I believe my system is under some sort of deployment because when I go to install my printer driver from the HP website the second I try running it that same drive pops up (still claiming to be CD/DVD) with the name HP install and will run over any downloaded driver file I try to run. Oh and the driver it's choosing to run in a 32bit driver (running 64) and its from 2006. Like all my drivers that get installed not by windows but someone or something else. They are ALL from 2006 which is why I do an enormous amount of installs weekly to try to understand and fix what's broke.

So back to the question.. it's obviously a virtual drive mirroring the first volume I create. But how do I get rid of it??

Reaction score
Are you trying to install Windows on a virtual drive?
Is there more than one hard drive connected?
Do you suspect any malware infection? If something is installing drivers without your knowledge & it isn’t Windows update then this is a possibility.

Reaction score
Device USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_HP&Prod_Smart_Install&Rev_1.0\000000000QJ81233SI1c&0 was configured.

Driver Name: cdrom.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: cdrom_install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0006
Matching Device Id: GenCdRom
Outranked Drivers: cdrom.inf:GenCdRom:00FF2002
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_03F0&PID_052A\000000000QJ81233SI1c

This i just found under properties for that drive.

Reaction score
Sorry no this is a basic install. 1 SSD thats it.. no virtual anything. So yes windows update is always the best choice, if it would STAY updated and not revert back to an earlier version of Windows (which were i hear easier to hack into).

Reaction score
It appears that the installer has just copied the contents over to the drive rather than installing Windows.
How did you create the installation media?
Are you using the .iso or USB?
If .iso did you burn this to a DVD/CD or just copy the contents to a CD/DVD or USB? Or did you you use a third party software like Rufus to create the USB media from the .iso?
If USB did you use the media creation tool to create media for another PC?

Reaction score
i did the media creation tool to a USB from this computer. so I found this and made a copy of a small party of it which is the CMIV2 (or the WIM control).

ets whether the containing assembly owns this directoryWW5 Gets the security descriptor reference of a directoryW5 Sets the security descriptor reference of a directoryW0 Returns the migration information of a directoryWW- Sets the migration information of a directoryW7 Marks external files with the external custom attributeWWWA Converts only internal files and ignores Include/Needs directivesWQ Forces processing of un-decorated models sections even if decorations are presentW0 Converts only the identity of the driver packageWW) Forces conversion of all registry entriesW Treat the INF file as inboxWWW Process ExcludeId directivesWW0 Generate PnP info during a no-install conversionWW. Flags that control the inf serializer behaviorD Keep the connection open to the data sources and read data on demandWW. Read all data and disconnect from data sourcesK Fetch the complete information regarding the objects that are being queriedWWWL Fetch only the first level information of the objects that are being queriedWW? Flags that control the caching and fetching policies of a queryWWW Represents Bulk Import$ Returns manifest file search patternWW! Sets manifest file search patternW Returns batch commit sizeW Sets batch commit size Returns maximum disk file size Sets maximum disk file sizeWWW Returns the file repositoryWWW Sets the file repositoryWW Returns the temporary directoryWWW Sets the temporary directoryWW, Returns the current setting for transactionsWW" Sets the batch transaction setting Executes the bulk importWW" Events interface for bulk importer" Exposes file repository properties Returns the repository flagsWW Sets the repository flagsW Use symbolic links while copyingWW- Skip the file if it is present in destinationWQ Return an error when importing a component already present in the file repositoryWL Skip missing files if the external attribute is set during import and exportWW= Use alternate setup policy location in fusion file repositoryW> Always serialize component manifest while importing components1 Ignore missing catalog files in driver componentsW Do not clean up if import failsWWW+ Flags that control file repository behaviorWWW IFileRepositorySet interfaceWW FileRepositories propertyW. Use file system and have limited query support* Use a file-based repository implementation9 Types of repositories. Used while creating the repositoryW Types of installation.% Valid events that CMI objects supportW Generic token replacer typeWWW% Manifest resource token replacer typeW" Different types of token replacers SE_CREATE_TOKEN_PRIVILEGEW SE_ASSIGNPRIMARYTOKEN_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_LOCK_MEMORY_PRIVILEGEWW SE_INCREASE_QUOTA_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_UNSOLICITED_INPUT_PRIVILEGE SE_MACHINE_ACCOUNT_PRIVILEGEWW SE_TCB_PRIVILEGEWW SE_SECURITY_PRIVILEGEW SE_TAKE_OWNERSHIP_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_LOAD_DRIVER_PRIVILEGEWW SE_SYSTEM_PROFILE_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_SYSTEMTIME_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_PROF_SINGLE_PROCESS_PRIVILEGEWW SE_INC_BASE_PRIORITY_PRIVILEGE SE_CREATE_PAGEFILE_PRIVILEGEWW SE_CREATE_PERMANENT_PRIVILEGEW SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_RESTORE_PRIVILEGEWW SE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGEW SE_DEBUG_PRIVILEGE SE_AUDIT_PRIVILEGE SE_SYSTEM_ENVIRONMENT_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_CHANGE_NOTIFY_PRIVILEGE SE_REMOTE_SHUTDOWN_PRIVILEGEWW SE_UNDOCK_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_SYNC_AGENT_PRIVILEGEWWW SE_ENABLE_DELEGATION_PRIVILEGE SE_MANAGE_VOLUME_PRIVILEGE SE_IMPERSONATE_PRIVILEGEWW SE_CREATE_GLOBAL_PRIVILEGE SE_INTERACTIVE_LOGON_NAMEW SE_NETWORK_LOGON_NAMEW SE_BATCH_LOGON_NAMEWWW SE_SERVICE_LOGON_NAMEW SE_DENY_INTERACTIVE_LOGON_NAME SE_DENY_NETWORK_LOGON_NAME SE_DENY_BATCH_LOGON_NAMEWW SE_DENY_SERVICE_LOGON_NAME SE_REMOTE_INTERACTIVE_LOGON_NAMEWW% SE_DENY_REMOTE_INTERACTIVE_LOGON_NAMEW1 Possible types of privilege, defined in ntseapi.hW Represents a set of repositoriesWW Returns the list of repositoriesWW4 Represent an instance of IDependency or ICompositionWW( Returns the definition of this referenceWW% Sets the definition of this referenceW( Resolution of a reference is not startedWW Waiting for selectionW Selection is doneW' Child instances are not fully resolved.WWWJ Resolution has been deferred to actual instance to avoid cyclic references* Resolution done and meets the constraints.. Different types of reference resolution status/ Returns the resolution status of this referenceWWW, Sets the resolution status of this referenceWW Resolve at design time Resolve at runtime$ Different types of resolution stagesWW. Returns the resolution stage of this reference+ Sets the resolution stage of this referenceWWW Returns the resolver identityW Sets the resolver identity* Returns if this instance is enabled or not' Sets if this instance is enbaled or notWWW' Represents an instance of an IComponentWWW1 Returns the component which defines this instanceW% Returns the identity of the componentW" Sets the identity of the component7 Returns the collection of reference in of this instanceWWW UserWW ResolverWW9 possible entities that add an instance to a configurationW< Returns the entity who adds this instance to a configurationWW9 Sets the entity who adds this instance to a configurationW< Returns the readonly collection of references to an instanceWW7 Represents both a root reference and a resolver contextWWW* Returns the identity of this configuration' Sets the identity of this configurationWWW1 Returns the read only collection of all instancesW Sets the repositoryWWW/ Implement by client to provide return instancesWWW, Gets the factory used by an instance factoryWW, Sets the factory used by an instance factoryWW Reference factory interfaceWWW0 Returns the factory used by an reference factoryWW- Sets the factory used by an reference factoryW Create identity referenceW Create dependency referenceWWW7 Create an instance of the component of the specified IdWWW8 Sets the repository to be used with the instance factoryWW Returns the instance factoryWW Sets the instance factoryW Returns the reference factoryW Sets the reference factory& Represent an resolver of IReference(s)% Returns the identity of this resolverW Resolve a referenceWWW& Returns the arguments to this resolver# Sets the arguments to this resolverWWW Returns the resolverWW Sets the resolverW1 Merge another configuration to this configurationW4 Reset the resolution status of a reference's parentsWW, all the overrides and the default are mergedWW; all the overrides only are merged, but not with the defaultWWW8 possible filter in the computation of effective settingsWW' Computes the effective setting settingsWWW= Returns if conflicting overrides are applied to this instanceW5 Returns the most recently computed override conflictsW< Returns the edit sequence when AllInstances is last modifiedWW* Represents the reference redirection tableK Returns the read-only redirection table view from the reference range indexWWWD Returns the read-only redirection table view from the instance indexWW Represents range of referencesD Sets the reference identity which includes the from version by valueWW> Returns the reference identity which includes the from version& Sets upper bound for the version range) Returns upper bound for the version rangeW& Adds an entry to the redirection tableC Removes an entry from the redirection table using a reference rangeWWWE Removes entries from the redirection table using an instance identityWE Removes entries from the redirection table using a reference identityWC Indicates that the reference redirection table has been initializedWWW' Returns the reference redirection tableWWWX Creates reference redirection table based on the lower and upper version offset providedWW; Resolve each language-specific dependency to zero componentWWW: Resolve each language-specific dependency to one component> Resolve each language-specific dependency to based on langpackC Resolve each language-specific dependency to all matched componentsWWW" Types of language resolution modes1 Gets the LanguageMode for resolving configurationW1 Sets the LanguageMode for resolving configurationW Resolve all the dependenciesWWA Resolve only compositional dependencies and language dependenciesW' Types of configuration resolution modesWWW3 Gets the ResolutionMode for resolving configurationWWW3 Sets the ResolutionMode for resolving configurationWWW5 Returns the configuration an instance is contained inW* Selects element based on a path expression. Returns the installation status of an instance IInstallContext interfaceW! Represents an installation targetW" Represents an installed repository4 Returns the configuration of an installed repositoryWW1 Returns the root path of the installed repositoryW" Returns the installed repository . Sets the installed repository .WWW3 Returns the collection of installable repositories.WWW% Returns the environment variable set.W" Sets the environment variable set., Returns the online environment variable set.WW) Sets the online environment variable set.W Target propertyWWWR This interface manages the association between installable objects and installers.6 This interface allows creation of installer instances.: This interface allows installing and uninstalling objects. Installs an object.WWW Uninstalls an object.W8 Creates an installer instance for the specified element.WW< Registers an installer factory using IInstallerRegistration.WWG Returns the installer associated with the specified installable object.WWWO Resolves the installer for the specified object and invokes its install method.WWWQ Resolves the installer for the specified object and invokes its uninstall method.W> Returns the current installer associated with the element nameD Returns the list of installer paths ordered by Install call sequenceWW= This interface allows access to an entry in IInstallerManagerW! Gets the installer id of an entryW+ Gets the installer registration of an entryWWW Public installerWW Private installerW Stock installerWWW Different types of installersW Gets the installer typeWWWL Return an installer registration entry in installer manager by element name.WW InstallerManager propertyW InstallationType propertyW CurrentInstance propertyWW FileRepositorySet property Factory propertyWW+ Returns the current pass of an installationWWW( Sets the current pass of an installationWW< Returns the processor architecture installers are running onWW9 Sets the processor architecture installers are running onW5 Returns the processor architecture the target runs onW2 Sets the processor architecture the target runs on- Returns the offline installer file repositoryW* Sets the offline installer file repository* Returns the optional passes to turn on/off' Sets the optional passes to turn on/offWWW No reboot is requiredW Reboot is recommendedW Reboot is required) possible set of values to indicate rebootW Returns the reboot indicatorWW Sets the reboot indicatorWD Sets up the internal environment object for the specified setup typeWW( Gets installer capability flags propertyWW( Sets installer capability flags propertyWW) Represents a listener to logging from CMIW NoneWW ErrorW Error and WarningW Error, Warning and InfoWWW Error, Warning, Info and Trace( possible levels of verbosity for loggingWW6 Returns the maximum verbosity level of log to receive.. Returns the log from which modules to receive.1 Returns the log from which facilities to receive.W1 modules that do not fall into the following itemsW main libraryWW utility toolWW" installer for ACL and user account% installer for PnP drivers and devicesW installer for sysprepW' installer for catalogs and certificatesWWW installer for managed componentsWW installer for settings installer for localized driversWWW possible modules for loggingWW> functionalities that do not fall into the following categories manages core object modelW* performs conversion between object and xml* performs conversion between object and inf+ stores and manages components in repositoryWWW updates configurationW performs dependency resolution performs setup of componentsWW+ possible functionalities in CMI for loggingWWW@ Receives log. Prefix Cmi to avoid conflict with logging in SetupWW Gets log listener property+ Returns the replicated repository root pathWWW( Sets the replicated repository root pathWW: Returns the previously installed instance during servicing7 Sets the previously installed instance during servicingWWW: Gets the file repository containing the specified instance/ Returns if the installation is using cmiadapterWWW- Sets if this installation is using cmiadapterW` Returns the component which defines this instance with all language-specific tokens substituted.WWC Selects elements from a specified object based on a path expressionWWW8 Returns the default setting instances from the componentWW> Returns the most recently computed effective setting instances> Returns the user specified setting overrides for this instanceN Returns the edit sequence when ComputeEffectiveSettingInstances is last called# Flushes internally cached componentWWW- Flushes internally cached localized componentW9 Returns if Component has element(s) of the specified pathW7 Returns the parent instance of this resolution, or NULLWWWE Returns the collection of instance identities available for selectionW6 Returns the maximum number of instances need to select3 Sets the maximum number of instances need to selectWWW6 Returns the minimum number of instances need

Reaction score
After reading this thread can only offer that I will completely clean a used drive [delete all partitions], HDD or SSD, using GPARTED LiveCD or in a dock attached to my Linux computer which also has GPARTED installed. Or when necessary use a new drive. Then I boot to the Windows install media and run it, let Windows determine what it can do, usually depends upon what the BIOS supports, either MBR or GPT, don't have to do any other preparation as Windows will create any/all partitions it needs. I also unplug any other drive except the Bootable USB or ODD.

Ask a Question