SOLVED Display distortion

Reaction score
Just updated to the latest version. The display now seems to be wider (ie. circles look more like elipses) is this something I can correct? I looked at display settings and nothing seems to fit this problem.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Alan :).

Can you please check that you are running the correct resolution for your monitor please. Right Click the desktop, then click "Display Settings" - it looks like you've already checked here, but did you take a look at the resolution dropdown?

If you let us know your monitor (or laptop) model, we can check the correct resolution for you. Normally Windows guesses correctly and assigns the "recommended" resolution, but what you are describing makes it sound like this setting is incorrect.

Reaction score
Hi Ian, I`m using an LG Flatron W1943SS-PF a widescreen monitor that until the upgrade displayed fine. The desktop background picture was cropped to fit. It now seems to show the whole picture to fill the screen but this means the picture is distorted. I switched the Monitor to "Picture Effect" which displays the picture perfectly but with 2" of black down each side

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information.

Is it only the background that is distorted, or is everything on the screen distorted (i.e. text, images, etc...). The resolution you should have set for that monitor is 1366x768 - can you confirm if that is the case?

Reaction score
Hi Ian, the whole screen is distorted. It all looks too wide.
In Seettings: Display: Resolution:
The only options I am given are: 1024x 768 - Recommended or 800x600.
So this looks like the problem. How can I get the 1366x 768 resolution?
Alan

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah yes, that's the problem then :).

Do you know which graphics card you have? It may be easiest to install Speccy (free) : https://www.piriform.com/speccy and then let us know the full system specifications from that.

Once we know a few more details, we can try a few different things (starting with removing the current graphics drivers and then re-installing the latest version).

edit: There is a monitor driver available (for Windows 7), which may work with Windows 10 and open up some of the resolution options. However, I think we should try the graphics card drivers first.

Reaction score
hi, have found the manual for the monitor and it talks about the best resolution being 1366x768 but has no instructions on how to change it to that from the 1024x768 its on at the moment

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you let me know what it lists as the graphics card please - perhaps you could upload a screenshot of the "graphics" section of Speccy (you may need to maximise the window to capture all of the data).

Reaction score
DSC02360.JPG
DSC02360.JPG

Reaction score
Hi Ian I actually already did that with a screenshot of the info on it.
I tried to download an updated graphics card (NVIADA GT218) driver but it wont because it needs JAVS SCRIPT to do this and I cant find any Browsers that still support it (Internet explorer is supposed, to internet says I have it installed but I cant find it listed! I cant find out how to change the display on my monitor to 1366x768. Ive looked at the manual and it seems to suggest it will only do it if the computer will allow it?? Going round in circles here and about to bissapear up my own B.. Heeeelp
Alan

Reaction score
Hi Alan,

have you also tried resetting the monitor via the monitor settings function button?. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the screenshot - it looks like your monitor is being controlled via the "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" - a very rudimentary driver that provides basic graphics functionality when the correct drivers aren't available.

Can you please go to the following NVIDIA driver page and choose the options below:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-gb

Product Type: GeForce
Series: GeForce 200 Series
Product: GeForce 210 (not G210)
Operating System: Windows 10 (32 or 64 bit, dependant on your OS)

Once you've clicked search, please download the drivers that it suggests. It should suggest one the following:

64 Bit Windows 10 Drivers: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/112662/en-uk
32 Bit Windows 10 Drivers: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/112644/en-uk

I would then run this display driver uninstaller (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) before running the new driver installation tools you downloaded.

Once you've installed cleaned the old drivers, reboot, install the new ones, reboot, then see if you can set the correct resolution.

Reaction score
Hi, yes did a factory reset - twice. Tried to re-install monitor but it fails "Installation Aborted" straight away.

Reaction score
Hi Ian, Thanks soo much. Downloaded the new graphics driver and all now seems ok. Monitor is running at 1366x768 and display looks fine. A VERY happy bunny here!
Alan

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent - I'm glad that got things working for you :).

Ask a Question