Display Turning Off

Reaction score
I noticed we had updates automatically installed today. The next thing I noticed was that when working in Excel if I didn't move the mouse within one minute the display turned off. After trying a few other programs I realize that it turns off after a minute in almost all my programs or even when I'm just reading a newspaper. Does anyone know if this is something from the latest updates? I never experienced this before. In fact, it just turned off while I was mulling over this post.

Reaction score
Have you checked your power options settings ?
In the search bar, type power options > click Power Options at the popup box > left side, click Choose when to turn off display > at the Turn off display , does it say 1 minute ? If yes, click the pointer and change it > click "Save changes" when done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I checked that before I posted. My computer is set to turn off the display if on battery after 30 minutes but when plugged in never turn off the display. I just rechecked it and that is how it is set. This is definitely something new.

Reaction score
Is display turned off only when you are using the Battery ?
If yes, then may be your battery is reaching its end ?

Reaction score
I am out of ideas.
lets hope that the mysterious return of your screen saver has nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
I don't believe there is any connection. I got the screensaver running last week, nothing mysterious about it. This business with the display just happened today.

Reaction score
This business with the display just happened today.

Do a system restore. Pick couple of days ago as your restore point.

At the search box next to Start button, type system restore > at the popup box, click Create a restore point > under System Restore heading, click System Restore > wait for it to load > click the option to choose another restore point. if you don't have the option to choose another restore point, just click Next > bottom left, check the box "Show more restore points " > now choose a date when you did not have this problem, click that date > click Next > follow the prompts from then on...............

It will take some time. When it is finished, it will tell you if system restore is performed successfully or not.
If it says successful, check the display issue.

Reaction score
Before I do the system restore, how does the restore affect those recent automatic updates to the system?

Reaction score
They will reappear for install.
I know what you are alluding to.
You lay blame on one of those updates installed recently.
Perhaps that was just a coincidence. In fact I incline to think that it is.
I have Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro, and all updates are installed. I do not have your issue.

Reaction score
Just did system restore. When computer came back on everything seemed to be working in slow motion or not at all. When I put my mouse over the start button it greyed out and I could do nothing. If I right clicked I could see those menus I decided to restart. On restarting the first thing I saw was a screen picture of rocks and water, with date and time. That is not something I had seen before when logging in. I clicked on it and my login page was underneath. When I tried to log in I got a large message "CRITICAL ERROR - Your start menu isn't working. We'll try yo fix it the next time you sign in" My only choice was to sign out now. I did that three times and got the same message each time. Without start menu you can't do anything. What do you suggest?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The rocks and water screen is the windows lock screen, simply strike the space bar to dismiss it.
Don't logon.
On the signin screen use the power button on the bottom of the screen, hold the shift key while selecting restart
Boot the machine into safe mode choice #4 after going through the steps described here.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
Give safe mode five minutes or so and then just restart your machine in normal mode as usual.
Then double check windows updates. They have supposedly addressed the issue that you are currently experiencing in one of those updates.
Whether or not your previous issue may reoccur as a result of installing the windows updates.... IDK

Reaction score
OK David, I've booted into safe mode and the message is "You'll need a new app to open this ms-get-started" I clicked OK but nothing is happening

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like the Get Started app is trying to run at startup.
I'm not certain but that app may have been either deprecated or updated.
In either event, right click the taskbar and choose start task manager
Select the Start Up tab from along the top and look for it and disable it.

Reaction score
Answer to David is I followed the instructions from the moderator. Now the moderator is telling me to disable the Get Started app but it is not listed when I am looking for it in the task manager

Reaction score
ottiliegirl,

I can't think of a way to help you fixing the problem you are having.
If you have exhausted your search for a solution, consider either reinstalling Windows 10 or do an in-place install of Windows 10.
I think you know how to use the Media Creation Download Tool to do that.
If you are not aware of the methods, please post back.

Reaction score
Thank you David. I appreciate your help. Is the Moderator "Trouble" still looking at my posts. He is the one who got me into Task Manager. Maybe he has a further suggestion. Please see that he gets this message.

Ask a Question