SOLVED Do away with logging in at start up

Reaction score
In the Windows 10 user accounts I’m the only one listed as I’m the only user. I get asked for my Microsoft Account password every time I log in which I don’t want. When I press the Windows key and R to open the run box and enter netplwiz it opens the user accounts box and I’m the only one there but it does not have the box saying, ‘Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.’ How do I get rid of having to enter a password when I can’t untick that box?

Reaction score
which version do you have?? Home or Pro??
In the home version one cannot untick the box as far as I know, only on pro and enterprise versions.

the easiest wat may be to remove the password altogether in [settings]->[account]->[sign-in options]. if that does not work either, it may not be possible to do without a hack in the registry and that is not a given either.

Reaction score
I'm using home. Not just a matter of not being able to tick it as it isn't there at all!

Settings, accounts, sign in options is a no go as well. Just the usual stuff about Windows Hello options none of which interest me.

Just wondering what would happen if I switched to a local account instead?

Reaction score
that might be a better option. Me personally always have local accounts, not associated with any email whatsoever.
give it a try. you can always undo that one.

This is one of many reasons I never do Home versions as they are to restrictive and not the user is controlling it but Microsoft.

Reaction score
Are you saying that a local account would screw up my email as I need that functioning properly?

Have to look at this again tomorrow as I'm going square eyed!

Reaction score
Are you saying that a local account would screw up my email as I need that functioning properly?

Have to look at this again tomorrow as I'm going square eyed!
That is not what I said. My local accounts are not associated with any email account. your email functions are continuing to work even with a local account. Your local account can have a password or you just leave it blank and it will then not stop for a login-prompt.
I am using this method on my insider system without any problems.

Reaction score
Okay I switched to a local account and it seems to be working okay. Only started playing up after the last update as there was never a problem in all the years I've had the computer. It always logged straight into my account when I switched it on. I guess that's why I have updates disabled most of the time until I'm sure they are not going to cause problems which unfortunately is always the case with Windows!

Ask a Question