Do I need a new product key?

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I installed windows 8.1 on to a fresh system when i built my PC 3 years ago then used a free update to install windows 10.

I am now upgrading my motherboard and CPU and wanting to do a complete fresh install of win 10.

Can I use the same product key and ISO for 8.1? Or do i need to buy a new product key?

Cheers,

Doug

Last edited:
Reaction score
The motherboard gets a Microsoft digital key with W 10 so if you change the motherboard you may need to contact M S.
Well that's how i understand it.

Reaction score
Small correction. They did modify the system of activation. If you are logged in with a Microsoft account, then it will be recognised and you will not need a new key. Remember, when you start your fresh install, do not put in a key at the request, near the beginning of the installation process, just go straight to the next screen.

Reaction score
Small correction. They did modify the system of activation. If you are logged in with a Microsoft account, then it will be recognised and you will not need a new key. Remember, when you start your fresh install, do not put in a key at the request, near the beginning of the installation process, just go straight to the next screen.
You learn something everyday.
I guess they want everyone on W 10. ;)

Reaction score
Maybe they want everyone on their own Email service so they can keep an eye on them. lol.
I created a @outlook.com account just for widows 10 and I don't use it all. I daily use local account for everything, so maybe they can't track me all that well?

Reaction score
I have had this problem with hardware change, when you re-install W10 on a newer/different hardware array, it will ask for a new key, you can try phone activation with the old key which is most likely your best bet!. :eek::eek::eek:

Ask a Question