Do refresh and reset PC options require a recovery partition to exist

Reaction score
I clean installed windows 10 on my pc that has three partitions. There is no recovery partition (checked with disk management). How will refresh and reset options work - what do I need for them to work

Reaction score
Is your disk GPT or MBR? If you fresh install Windows 10 on a GPT disk (UEFI boot mode enabled), it does create an EFI, MRS (won't show in Disk Management), Recovery, and C: drive. If you install Windows 10 on an MBR disk, it only needs System Reserved partition and C: drive. If windows 10 is on MBR disk, the winre file is in the system reserved partition. therefore, you don't need a recovery partition for recovery options. When you upgrade Windows 8.1 to 10, Windows 10 will create a recovery partition if your system reserved partition (MBR disk) or Recovery Partition doesn't have enough disk space. As you know, Windows can only shrink a partition from the right side, so the 450 MB recovery partition is new created, which should not be deleted if you want to use recovery options. To see more details, you can read: The Recovery Partition Windows 10

Ask a Question