Does an old slow modem really limit the speed of a connection?

Reaction score
I have an old modem rated at N600, half on each band. I have a super fast router rated at AC3200 with 3 bands (1 at 2.4 and 2 at 5). I had an issue with my line which has now been fixed but the modem works and the router doesn't.
Is there any point worrying about getting the router working? The modem is a TP-Link TD-W8980 and the router is a Netgear R8000.
As a secondary question, anybody any idea why the router doesn't work? I have been using the pair of them for 4 or 5 years happily. The modem had to be reprogrammed, could I somehow have "switched off" the WAN port to the router or something?
Thanks in anticipation.... :)

Reaction score
Im sure it has been fixed by now.
It might be old but slow that im not sure
The TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router integrates 4-port

Switch, Firewall, NAT-Router and Wireless AP. Powered by 3X3 MIMO technology, the Wireless

N Router delivers exceptional range and speed, which can fully meet the need of Small

Office/Home Office (SOHO) networks and the users demanding higher networking performance.

The TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router utilizes integrated

ADSL2+ transceiver and high speed MIPS CPU. The Router supports full-rate ADSL2+

connectivity conforming to the ITU and ANSI specifications.

In addition to the basic DMT physical layer functions, the ADSL2+ PHY supports dual latency

ADSL2+ framing (fast and interleaved) and the I.432 ATM Physical Layer.

The modem router provides up to 300Mbps (2.4GHz) + 300Mbps (5GHz) wireless connection with

other 802.11n wireless clients. The incredible speed makes it ideal for handling multiple data streams

at the same time, which ensures your network stable and smooth. The performance of this 802.11n

wireless Router will give you the unexpected networking experience at speed 650% faster than

802.11g. It is also compatible with all IEEE 802.11g and IEEE 802.11b products.

With multiple protection measures, including SSID broadcast control and wireless LAN 64/128

WEP encryption, Wi-Fi protected Access (WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK), as well as advanced Firewall

protections, the TD-W8980 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ Modem Router provides

complete data privacy.
The Router provides flexible access control, so that parents or network administrators can

establish restricted access policies for children or staff. It also supports Virtual Server and DMZ

host for Port Triggering, and then the network administrators can manage and monitor the network

in real time with the remote management function.

Since the Router is compatible with virtually all the major operating systems, it is very easy to

manage. Quick Setup Wizard is supported and detailed instructions are provided step by step in

this user guide. Before installing the Router, please look through this guide to know all the

Router's function

TD-W8980
Appendix B: Troubleshooting

T1. How do I restore my modem router's configuration to its factory default

settings?

With the modem router powered on, press and hold the RESET button on the rear panel for 8 to

10 seconds before releasing it.

Note:

Once the modem router is reset, the current configuration settings will be lost and you will need to

re-configure the router.

Click "Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> View network status -> Change

adapter settings".

Right-click Wireless Network Connection (or Local Area Connection), and then click

Properties.

Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.

Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.

Then click OK

Ask a Question