Does Changing Ownership Ruin Everything?

Reaction score
I could not write a batch file to C: so I went about trying to find out why and how to fix.

Finished up following a forum post that had me changing ownership of the whole C: drive to SYSTEM.

After a while I aborted it. Thinking maybe it wasn't a good idea.

Now I've seen a couple of weird behaviours. Both to do with inputting passwords. They system has claimed they contained characters they didn't contain. Would not accept them and there was no way I could make it happen. The progs were not seeing what I was writing.

An effect of my ownership changes?

Bunch of questions now:

1. Would it have ruined everything?
2. If so what can I do to fix it?
3. How could I have fixed it so's I could write that batch file?
4. If I partition this drive and install another win10 on the new empty partition will that work okay? I'll then be able to boot from it and take my time cleaning up the old partition?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I would probably boot from the installation media and use the "Repair your PC" link on the second page following the keyboard and language page to get to
Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> and then use....
System Restore to go back to a point in time prior to you having made those changes.
See if that does anything to help with the current problem.

Reaction score
I will do that if it comes to it. Might as well see how long I can work first.
Don't have much faith in system restore. from what i understand it rolls back installations. i've seen no mention of restoring security measures such as sharing, permissions, ownership, access.

Ask a Question