Does Windows 10 provide a Filemanager?

BML

Reaction score
I have been getting into a mess attempting to open some ten year old DVDs which carry photographs by downloading a piece of VLC software I had been advised to try. I asked someone whom I trust what I needed to do and they advised me to open the DVD using Filemanager but I can't find one.
Firstly could anyone tell me what a Filemanager is.
Secondly did Windows load it with Windows 10?
Thirdly, if it is missing what can I do next?
Many thanks in anticipation.

Reaction score
first: a file manager allows you to list folders on your hard drive and is able to copy,move, delete files.
second: The file manager in Windows is commonly known as "Windows Explorer". Of course there are alternatives like Total commander, Norton commander, File commander, Volkow commander and speed commander just to name a few.

BML

Reaction score
first: a file manager allows you to list folders on your hard drive and is able to copy,move, delete files.
second: The file manager in Windows is commonly known as "Windows Explorer". Of course there are alternatives like Total commander, Norton commander, File commander, Volkow commander and speed commander just to name a few.

BML

Reaction score
Many thanks for that. I keyed in, Windows File Explorer and "File Explorer" opened up. Is that the same thing?

Reaction score
Yes. If you want to "pin it" you will find it in the start menu, under the "Windows System" folder near the bottom.

Reaction score
I find that pinning it to task bar is the most convenient. Then I open it and set it to showing ile extensions, hidden files, full paths in title bar etc. Just like earlier versions of Windows.

Ask a Question