Doing a clean install of Windows 10

Reaction score
I need/want to do a clean install of Windows 10, but hate having to go through all of the updates.
Is there any way to do a clean install of Windows 10 that includes all of the updates?

Thanks for any help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there any way to do a clean install of Windows 10 that includes all of the updates?
None that I know of.
The most recent ISO available through Microsoft I believe, installs Version 1903 Build 18362.30
BUT
As Microsoft Updates are "cumulative" and the latest includes a roll-up of those that preceded it, you shouldn't have very many to install to bring you up to date with 18362.145
Following is the total list of my updates since a recent clean install of Windows 10 using the ISO available from Microsoft.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Yeah, there's not many updates for 1903 yet, so now would probably be the best time. At least before update Tuesday.

Reaction score
Exactly. Wait until next Wednesday. Or do it now and just get last weeks update and a new one next Tuesday

Reaction score
I need/want to do a clean install of Windows 10, but hate having to go through all of the updates.

Thanks for any help.

Beside the install of Windows 10 there are usually not many updates to install.
First one usually is the Adobe flash player update,
second one Servicing stack update,
third one maybe the Intel microcode update,
and last but not least the most recent cumulative update (CU).

CU's usually get larger the longer a build runs but MS has reduced the size already (compared to earlier Versions). On my install media I usually have Windows (Install in 32&64bit) and all updates stored so I can do an offline install and be up-to-date after finishing.

The only updates that will always be downloaded are the ones for Windows defender and the MSRT (Malicious Software removal tool).

It is not like you have to download hundreds of updates as it was normal with previous versions up to and included Windows 8.

Reaction score
I can confirm to you that the MCT will install version 1903 with the current build. I just did this on my Dell laptop which was shipped with version 1607. I too thought I would have to go through installing all the updates, but the installation took care of the whole thing. The laptop booted into version 1903 build 18362.175 which is the latest build. I started the process went to bed. Continued the next morning. When I got home from work. it was all done.

Reaction score

Thanks for any help.
I suggest you just do the install and go do something while it does the updates and be glad it's not windows 7.
I do this install several times a week, some times. Since I do mostly Lenovo T and W series I can just clone a drive I have for that purpose. Other times, just let it do it's thing.

Reaction score
I would recommend you use one of the UUP Downloaders, then convert the uups into the latest Windows Version that you want. Download takes me about 8 min, convert takes another 4, then extract install.wim to install.esd, copy to extracted iso then make a new iso. burn to USB then install or you can simply take the wim and use as per found in Technet MS script ( Dism /apply-image /imagefile:X:\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:X:\ ) to you formatted HDD/SSD and clean and full upadted and no you do not need the internet then to install. only to Activate.

Reaction score
What I've found is this, its not Windows that have allot of updates but other software that you might have on your system, one of the main culprits for me is Microsoft Office, which and after every Windows Version Update e.g. 1903 etc, has to update its own updates and these are the bulk of the windows updates that populate and take up Windows Update. In this latest v1903 update which totals 44 updates 2 are cumulative updates relating to the operating system and the rest are all MS Office, OneNote, Adobe etc related .

Reaction score
The op didn't offer a reply for a month now, after his single post on the forum. I guess he found a way?

Ask a Question