Domain Credentials not passing through

Reaction score
Anyone experienced issues once they joined domain with Windows 10 and accessing Domain joined servers or resources - it constantly prompts for credentials to open (shared drives or folders) - I have my Windows 8.1 desktop using the same credentials and accessing the same resources with no issues. Just the preview on my laptop is experiencing this, is there a new security setting in 10 that handles domain credentials that's causing this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello ESats and welcome to the forum.
Haven't had a chance to try any domain authentication yet.
Can you advise as to which server (version) you're authenticating too with your laptop and if your laptop is a member of the domain. I'm guessing not as you mentioned passthrough authentication.
I'd like to test this if you can tell me those two items of information.

Reaction score
Server 2008 R2 (latest SP and updates) and Server 2012 standard (latest updates) - Domain controllers 2 - 2012 DCs and 1 - 2008R2 DC
2008R2 domain function level

File servers are mix of 2008R2 and 2012

Its a really weird issue for an Enterprise Technical Preview release which I didn't expect to encounter right away.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So I understand..... the laptop is not joined to the domain??
AND
Does it seem to make any difference where the resources are located DC or member server.... 2008r2 or 2012
AND
Do you have any 2012r2 DCs or for that matter 2012r2 member servers?

Reaction score
Laptop is on the domain
- it shows up in AD, I can apply Group Policy to it. it shows up in the Domain Computers group in Active Directory.

The OSes I listed is the servers I connect to on a daily basis. Normally I access my servers via \\uncpathtoserver\driveorsharedfolder\

I have 3 DCs in a single site, single domain

2 are 2012 R2 - 1 is 2008 R2, 2 file servers (2012 R2 and 2008 R2)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the process of testing.
Configured my 2k8r2 server as DC domain functional level 2k8r2
Configured my 2k12r2 server as member server
Configured test shares on both. Share Permissions set to full control to everyone, Security Permissions (NTFS) set to read / write for Domain Users.
Configured domain user
Tested with my desktop (not joined to the domain) Windows 10 Tech Preview (update installed)
Prompted for credentials
Entered
DomainName\DomainUserName
Password (for domain user created above)
Check box (remember credentials)
Accessed shares on both servers with out issue, created a a new text document in both shares and edited and saved. No problems.
Rebooted desktop to see if credentials were preserved
Was able to connect to shares and edit text documents without further prompting for credentials.
This leads me to believe that Windows Pass Through Authentication works without problem.
If you'd like I can join the Win10 Desktop to the domain and test further?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At what point are you having to enter your credentials again?
After a reboot? After a log off and log on?
What do you show in your credential manager.
Is everything showing up in the network node on the Win 10 machine as you would expect to see?

Attachments

• CredMgr.PNG
    CredMgr.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,379
  • Network.PNG
    Network.PNG
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,202
  • SharesShow.PNG
    SharesShow.PNG
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,080
Reaction score
okay see that's interesting in your Credential manager - mine is empty for windows credentials but all my domain credentials are listed as Generic -
Here's the steps I've taken so far -
Fresh install from USB
joined work wireless during install
joined the domain (using my domain credentials ( I have domain admin rights))
tried to access file server logged in as my domain account (has domain admin rights) via \\server\fileshare in explorer was prompted for credentials -
Under network - just see my machine and our wireless projectors - network discovery is enabled.

Attachments

• CredMgr.PNG
    CredMgr.PNG
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,028
  • PromptviaUNCpath.PNG
    PromptviaUNCpath.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,897

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check your network adapter and see what it has for a DNS server.
Do an ipconfig /all and make sure that your "Domain DNS" server is a least listed as primary or preferred. It actually should be the only one listed unless you have multiple Domain DNS servers in your domain and forwarders are configured correctly.
It's pretty critical for domain authentication

Reaction score
Anyone experienced issues once they joined domain with Windows 10 and accessing Domain joined servers or resources - it constantly prompts for credentials to open (shared drives or folders) - I have my Windows 8.1 desktop using the same credentials and accessing the same resources with no issues. Just the preview on my laptop is experiencing this, is there a new security setting in 10 that handles domain credentials that's causing this?
I'm having the same problem trying to network my windows 10 updated laptop with my windows 8.1 desktop. Prior to updating the laptop, both machines saw each other and could access files. After the update, the "new and improved" (read, I have to justify my job, so I'll update windows) windows 10 machine sees the windows 8.1 machine, but when I try to access shared folders, I get stuck, because the network credentials that worked with 8.1 don't work with 10. Thanks Microsoft. Windows 10 just made my life so much better!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What if any error message are you getting?
Access denied?
Cannot xxxxxxx?

Can you ping with IP and NetBIOS names?
What third party security suite software do you have installed on either or both?

Reaction score
When I try to access a shared file or directory using File Explorer, I get a pop-up Windows Security window asking for my Network Credentials. When I enter them, I get an error message saying "The User Name or Password is incorrect."

I AM able to ping with both IP and NetBIOS names from both machines.
I have AVG Internet Security on one machine and Norton Security Suite on the other. When I disable the Security on both machines, the problem persists.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically this can be overcome by using
MachineName\Username
Password
AS IN
TheMachineYouAreTryingToAccess\(e-mail address removed)
ThePasswordForUserOnThatMachine

MyWin8machine\(e-mail address removed)
JohnSmith'sPassword

Reaction score
Typically this can be overcome by using
MachineName\Username
Password
AS IN
TheMachineYouAreTryingToAccess\(e-mail address removed)
ThePasswordForUserOnThatMachine

MyWin8machine\(e-mail address removed)
JohnSmith'sPassword
Thanks. It really WAS as simple as putting the slash in the correct direction - a backslash rather than a forward slash. One more reason why I hate networking almost as much as I hate in-ground sprinklers! Thanks again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you.....
For posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Glad to hear you managed to get it sorted.

Reaction score
I'm having a highly similar problem to Joe and ESats.

However, in my case, Trouble's solution did not work.

Both machines are running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Both machine accounts are in the same Microsoft Family

Server has a @outlook.com microsoft account
Personal machine has a @hotmail.com microsoft account

When I try to connect to the server using the servername\[email protected] credentials, I get an error message stating "username or password is incorrect".

I'm scratching my head here. Is it because both accounts aren't using the same account type?

Edit:
It DOES seem to have something to do with account types, since I just tried logging into the server's shared folders using another computer with a local account and had no trouble whatsoever.

Last edited:

Ask a Question