Download Windows 10 RTM before release date

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a long time Windows Insider tester, but I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10 once it has been finalised. I'm currently using build 10240 which I understand is the RTM.

Is there a way I can download an ISO of this so that I can do a fresh install? If I do this, will it work in the same way that Windows 10 final will (available on 29th July?). Or, will I suddenly find that I'm required to do a fresh install as it is still considered beta?

Reaction score
RE : I'm currently using build 10240 which I understand is the RTM.
You have been misinformed.
Although it has been said that 10240 looks very much like the upcoming RTM, it is at best no more than a " RTM candidate". It is not a RTM.

RE : Is there a way I can download an ISO of this so that I can do a fresh install?
No. There is no 10240 ISO available. For now, MS wants us to use the Windows Update path.

RE : will I suddenly find that I'm required to do a fresh install as it is still considered beta?
There is no reason you will be required to do a clean install of 10240 even if its ISO were to be released.
Perhaps I have misunderstood what you meant ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can , of course, make your own ISO from the install esd., but, as David says, that is not, at this time, the way MS want you to go during the test phase.

Ask a Question