Downloading updates

Reaction score
When I check for updates, I see there are seven, all of which say Waiting for download - but I can find nothing to activate the download. When I look at Download History in the same section, I see there are lots, all of which say Failed to download and all with the same date, May 21. And when I look at download history in the Control Panel, there are only 2, way back in February. How can I download my updates, either automatically or manually?

Reaction score
There are cases where follow on updates will not work because a current one has not finished installing. If you know which ones failed and you do not see the same update later showing as installed, it may be causing the problem.

You need to consider your network connection to make sure you have a good connection and no anti-virus programs or firewalls are blocking access.

Then I would suggest you shut your system completely down. Some updates need a restart in order to replace certain files. In the past I have also noticed some updates actually look for a complete shutdown and then restart.

Give it time to catch up, even a couple of days but if you don't see any improvement we can try running a troubleshooter.

Edit: Trying Manual Check for updates may speed things along.

Reaction score
There are cases where follow on updates will not work because a current one has not finished installing. If you know which ones failed and you do not see the same update later showing as installed, it may be causing the problem.

You need to consider your network connection to make sure you have a good connection and no anti-virus programs or firewalls are blocking access.

Then I would suggest you shut your system completely down. Some updates need a restart in order to replace certain files. In the past I have also noticed some updates actually look for a complete shutdown and then restart.

Give it time to catch up, even a couple of days but if you don't see any improvement we can try running a troubleshooter.

Edit: Trying Manual Check for updates may speed things along.

Reaction score
Thanks for that but it doesn't help! Nothing has installed so it's not a case of waiting for a previous update. My internet connection is good and I have Avast but surely that shouldn't be a problem. The computer has been turned off for two days but nothing has changed except there are now 9 Updates which all say Waiting to download - but no way that I can see to activate that. The problem is on a new Acer laptop which I bought with Windows 10 already installed in March 2016.

Reaction score
If it isn't downloading the updates there may be several reasons.

You have your settings so at to check for but not download updates. But that should be an option after you Check Manually.

Some service, such as BITS, is not running.

You are trying to download over a metered connection or some other type of restriction on downloads.

Something, such as Avast, is blocking the download.

You might go to the Event Viewer and see if any messages in the info, error or warning area mentions the updates.

If you open the control panel there is a Windows Update troubleshooter you might try as Admin.

If that trouble shooter does not work look at this one.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Reaction score
Still no luck - I tried each of the above suggestions but still no way of downloading the updates which are not only for Windows but also things like Adobe and Skype. Any other ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, at this point, I think I would completely uninstall Avast.
First by using the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel and then I would follow that up by using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool from here
https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Afterwards I would reboot and attempt to download the updates, just to determine if Avast might have anything to do with the issue.
You can always re-install it later, if it proves not to have been the cause of your problem.

Ask a Question