Driver_Overran_Stack_buffer only when playing a particular game

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently built my new PC and everything was going smooth until I decided to replay Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I started experiencing crashes constantly, first starting out with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. I am overclocking my CPU so I thought maybe the voltage given wasnt sufficient. It is an i7-6700K. I experienced crashes at 1.34V set in the BIOS for an OC of 4.6 Ghz. I gave it an additional 0.01 to make it 1.35V and set it to adaptive mode with a tolerance of upto 1.36V.

It ran smooth for a while then I got the DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER error. Now I think some driver is screwing with me. My specifications are as follows:

- CPU i7-6700K at 4.6Ghz OC at 1.35V
- OS Windows 10 Pro x64
- RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 ram at 3200Mhz dual channel
- GPU Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC edition, no further boost applied
- SSD Playing the game on a 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD
- Temps - No overheating noticed, monitored CPU and GPU temps to 75 and 78 degree C respectively at load
- Display - Playing at 3440x1440p at 100Hz GSYNC enabled

Minidump attached at time of crash
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByXvswfFhDlXZkxOWTFMQldDalk

MSinfo:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByXvswfFhDlXaXRMQm1GWjJVVzQ

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Vimal

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, those are video driver issues. It's been a while since I had the DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER issue, but I'm almost positive it was graphics driver related. Maybe try uninstalling it with DDU and reinstalling. If not, try doing the same except install an older driver.

If I had time I'd reinstall the game. I don't believe I've tried running it on Windows 10. Don't remember having any issues with it before, but it's been a while since I played it.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, those are video driver issues. It's been a while since I had the DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER issue, but I'm almost positive it was graphics driver related. Maybe try uninstalling it with DDU and reinstalling. If not, try doing the same except install an older driver.

If I had time I'd reinstall the game. I don't believe I've tried running it on Windows 10. Don't remember having any issues with it before, but it's been a while since I played it.

Well as my PC is newly built the only driver I have installed is the one I installed after putting in my card onto the Mobo. However, I'll try installing the previous released driver. Also I want to point out that this issue occurs not when at peak gaming load, but random whenever I start a game or such

Reaction score
Hi Vimal,

if you built your own PC, did you also use enough/any "Thermal Paste"?.

I am not saying that is causing your problem but just to make sure that others are aware that they should apply thermal paste when building their own PC!.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/desktop-pc/how-to-apply-thermal-paste-cpu-3636146/ :)

Oh yes I watched multiple videos on the various methods to apply thermal compound and I can say with confidence I used the right amount required to maintain normal operating temperatures. I verified this thoroughly.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Chasing a BSOD ( which now I guess is actually a GSOD) system crash problem on an over-clocked system is not going to be easy if even possible.
While I'm certainly no crash expert, I suspect that those sites / forums that do specialize in resolving crash issues are going to first recommend that you return all overclock settings to standard / normal before even trying to attack a dump file.

Reaction score
Chasing a BSOD ( which now I guess is actually a GSOD) system crash problem on an over-clocked system is not going to be easy if even possible.
While I'm certainly no crash expert, I suspect that those sites / forums that do specialize in resolving crash issues are going to first recommend that you return all overclock settings to standard / normal before even trying to attack a dump file.

Well I have a hunch, but it couldnt be much, when I was building/finsihing my system, I was connected to a different wall socket (via extension). Once my new computer table arrived, I had repositioned my computer to another socket via another extension cable. Can faulty extensions cause these issues?

On the first socket, I was using my computer for roughly 2 weeks with no problems whatsoever.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I had repositioned my computer to another socket via another extension cable. Can faulty extensions cause these issues?
While anything is certainly possible.... I would expect that if you had an issue with reliable, consistent and clean AC voltage supplied through your wall outlet or an extension, that you would be seeing some additional bad behavior from your system.
On the first socket, I was using my computer for roughly 2 weeks with no problems whatsoever.
I suppose you could always move it back and test.
It may just be a coincidence and you don't realize that you've installed a problem driver in the interim.
There are many sources of drivers and they're not always hardware. Often software products such as third party security suites can install drivers when installed or update those drivers during a version update.

Reaction score
What does the minidump say is the cause (I'm not downloading the file, no offense)?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (f7)
A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially
allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.
DESCRIPTION
A driver overran a stack-based buffer (or local variable) in a way that would
have overwritten the function's return address and jumped back to an arbitrary
address when the function returned. This is the classic "buffer overrun"
hacking attack and the system has been brought down to prevent a malicious user
from gaining complete control of it.

Do a kb to get a stack backtrace -- the last routine on the stack before the
buffer overrun handlers and bugcheck call is the one that overran its local
variable(s).
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Actual security check cookie from the stack
Arg2: 0000db8017dc73ef, Expected security check cookie
Arg3: ffff247fe8238c10, Complement of the expected security check cookie
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero

There's some brief mention of dxgmms2.sys 4/15/2061 (weird date I know) which might tie into the Video Card and the associated software / driver. Maybe a 3D setting or something else.
IDK.... I'm no expert, plus windbg seems to act a little strange when debugging some recent Windows 10 dump files and I can't seem to figure out why.
I keep getting line after line of
GetContextState failed, 0x8007001E
Unable to get current machine context, Win32 error 0n30
No idea what that's all about.
Might be something wrong with the dump file or just something that needs updating in the debugger.

Ask a Question