Dual booting Win 10 and Insider Preview

Reaction score
This is meant to share with users who happen to be dual booting Windows 10 RTM and Insider preview.

That is what I have been doing.
My issue was.......
upon Restart, I was faced with a boot menu showing 2 Windows 10.
one has Volume 1 underneath, the other has Volume 2.
I had to remind myself that Volume 1 is the RTM, and Volume 2 is the Preview.
Most of the time, I had to stop momentarily before I could pick the OS I wanted to logon.
So, I asked at the IT forum. I wanted to know how to change the name in the boot menu so that I could tell which one I wanted instantly.
I was given a Bcdedit suggestion.
Trouble was, my head turned trying to figure out what it said.
I wasn't going anywhere with that techie stuff.
FINALLY , after googling like mad dog, I came across this .......EasyBCD.
So simple. Anyone can do it.
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

** I selected the Free Non-Commercial option at the bottom of the page. I needed to register it, but that's ok for me as long as the program is free.

Now my boot menu, upon restart, will show Windows 10, and Insider Preview.

Reaction score
It is my favourite tool. It is one of the first third party programs I install on a new OS. Quite old now. I was using it in the Vista days.
It has quite a few menu options.- Scroll down and look at useful utilities, for example. A wealth of opportunity there.

Reaction score
Right. Just tried it. Truth is I have never used that facility. No need as it is built in
But have a look around at some of the other options - backup : repair etc. even including MBR. quick solutions to problems which normally are quite involved.MBR

Ask a Question