DVD/CD Drive No Longer Existant after Windows 10 Upgrade - Help Please!

Reaction score
Hi there,

After upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 my DVD/CD drive no longer functions. There is no longer any listing for a DVD/CD drive in my devices manager. I would really like to be able to use my optical drive again!

Here are the specs:

Solutions already tried:

1. Checking to see if it is securely connected within the laptop: it is.
  2. Entering this in command prompt as an admin and rebooting after: reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 DID NOT WORK
  3. Reinstalling the original Asus Chipset from Windows 8.1: didn't do anything.
  4. All of these solutions: none worked especially considering the DVD/CD is not even listed in my device manager, but I tried anyhow.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated in resolving this issue. After going through the chipset solution and it failing, Asus recommended doing a system restore back to 8.1. I simply don't have time to backup all the files, wipe, and reinstall everything, so I'm looking for a solution that remains compatible with keeping Windows 10.

Thanks!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Latrans,

Welcome to the forum.

When you open Device Manager can you click View in top toolbar, then select Show hidden devices

This may allow you to view your DVD/CD and if it does, you can check whether there are any alert symbols over it suggesting an issue. If not, you may be able to right-click it and select to update drivers.

Regards,

Regedit32

Oh by the way I see you attempted to add an Atapi registry key to your Windows Registry. While doing that did you check your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 sub key? That would reveal what drivers if any are intstalled for this DVD/CD and will also have a key for last delete date too if you at some stage remove them.

Reaction score
When you open Device Manager can you click View in top toolbar, then select Show hidden devices

This may allow you to view your DVD/CD and if it does, you can check whether there are any alert symbols over it suggesting an issue. If not, you may be able to right-click it and select to update drivers.

Thanks, this did reveal the DVD/CD-ROM Drives, but the actual device doesn't show up below it. No alerts show up either.

Oh by the way I see you attempted to add an Atapi registry key to your Windows Registry. While doing that did you check your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 sub key? That would reveal what drivers if any are intstalled for this DVD/CD and will also have a key for last delete date too if you at some stage remove them.

This is where my ability to discern these things gets sparse. I've attached a screencap of what I see when I go to that location.

Thank you so much for your help and the welcome :)

~Latrans

Attachments

• screencaptemp1.jpg
    screencaptemp1.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 903

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Latrans,

Going by your screen capture its clear the System is not detecting your DVD/CD as the MatchingDeviceID has a default CD-Rom. The other thing is the driver version is outdated, unless you have not updated your Windows 10 build.

The current Windows 10 Build is 10586.494

The current driver version ought to be 10.0.10586.0

Assuming you can get Device Manager to detect your DVD/CD you may need to manually update driver then, although once detected it may automatically do that for you.

When you open Device Manager, just beneath Help in top tool bar is a Blue screen with magnifying glass icon. If you click that your System ought to be scanned for hardware changes. Assuming your DVD/CD is working and correctly attached with cables it ought to be detected. Have you tried doing that?

Reaction score
I suppose you can open and close the drive and inserting media does not help.

While opening and closing does the drive show up in File Explorer?

A device will show in Device Manager as hidden when it has drivers installed but believes the device is disconnected.

You might try uninstalling the hidden version and check the box to remove all drivers then let Windows find new ones unless ASUS has Win 10 drivers.

Since the drive worked with 8.1 it should work with 10 but you might look to see if a firmware upgrade is available. Any Bios updates available for the unit?

If the drive happened to be a USB type device it might help to Reset the USB hubs which you can do on some using the properties - Advanced tab.

Reaction score
Going by your screen capture its clear the System is not detecting your DVD/CD as the MatchingDeviceID has a default CD-Rom. The other thing is the driver version is outdated, unless you have not updated your Windows 10 build.

The current Windows 10 Build is 10586.494

The current driver version ought to be 10.0.10586.0

Assuming you can get Device Manager to detect your DVD/CD you may need to manually update driver then, although once detected it may automatically do that for you.

When you open Device Manager, just beneath Help in top tool bar is a Blue screen with magnifying glass icon. If you click that your System ought to be scanned for hardware changes. Assuming your DVD/CD is working and correctly attached with cables it ought to be detected. Have you tried doing that?

I had it scan for hardware changes, and nothing happened. I believe the optical drive is connected to my system via SATA, and it is securely connected (I checked last night). When unhidden under the DVD/CD-ROM Drives it lists a SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro USB Device...which isn't connected to the computer at all, which is odd.

How would I go about updating that driver?

I suppose you can open and close the drive and inserting media does not help.

While opening and closing does the drive show up in File Explorer?

A device will show in Device Manager as hidden when it has drivers installed but believes the device is disconnected.

No, the drive will not open unless manually opened using a paper clip in the little hole thinger. When media is placed in there, nothing happens.

Since the drive worked with 8.1 it should work with 10 but you might look to see if a firmware upgrade is available. Any Bios updates available for the unit?

I'm unsure how to find these updates/upgrades. Any idea how to go about this?

If the drive happened to be a USB type device it might help to Reset the USB hubs which you can do on some using the properties - Advanced tab.

No, it's connected inside my laptop via a SATA connection, I believe.

Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my Dell desktop. I'm sure when I was trouble shooting the device a Dell message popped up and said Remove and Insert Drive. I remember shutting down the PC completely, removing the power cord and physically removing/re-inserting the CD/ROM Optical drive. Restarting the PC and the optical drive was recognized. That's all I can remember as the event was a few years back, Win 7 Pro was the OS. You may want to attempt the same procedure, as you have a Laptop I would also remove the battery. At this point it's worth a try.

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/company/Panasonic/CD-DVD/index.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you need a paperclip than I agree with Norton. Possibly the drive has gotten out of operational sequence and needs to be reset.

I seem to remember one of mine doing that several years ago but I can't remember if I disconnected it or ran some utility to reset it. Removing the power may help.

If the device shows as a USB drive and that drive isn't connected you could uninstall it also. But I do seem to remember some comments about one of the later updates causing certain types of USB situations.

Edit: There is supposed to be a large upgrade tomorrow, perhaps that will sort things out.

Reaction score
The drive shouldn't be difficult to remove; Laptops usually involves removing 2 small screws.
If all else fails and nothing changes after the update tomorrow, here's a link to the drive manufacturer.

I already completely removed the drive and reset it before my original post, with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Reaction score
I suppose another question might be will the drive open prior to entering Windows, as during boot or while you are in the Bios setup? If the tray is open and you reboot the system what does it do?

Hopefully, when you removed the drive earlier you left it out for at least 5 minutes. But now, I am wondering if you should remove it prior to any big updates happening today. If you have uninstalled all instances of the DVD or its drivers or the USB item you mentioned, I don't have any other suggestions since I could not find a utility or firmware for the drive that might help. But I only saw the Q553 listed on the ASUS site.

Edit: You might try shutting the system down, removing the drive and rebooting... Maybe that would clear out some problems.

Last edited:

Ask a Question