DVD Drive Issue | Win 10

Reaction score
I have an HP 635 notebook using Win 10 and experience an usual issue with the DVD drive. I have a hp CDDVDW SN-208BB drive. After I restart Windows, the DVD drive in explorer shows as a removable drive as a result the DVD player is gone. I looked at device manager and see an additional DVD drive which is a "Hitachi HTS723225A7A364" . I can remove the drive, and then prompted to restart my machine, the issue still exists. However, if I turn on computer off for about a minute the Hitachi drive is no longer shown in device manager and my dvd player works. Any ideas? I have tried to uninstall both DVD drives, check for updates. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

what version of Win 10 do you have and is the system fully up to date?.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed as well as the latest drivers for your laptop?. :)

That said, there appears to be no Win 10 drivers for your rig at HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-635-notebook-pc/5086719 :eek:

Reaction score
Browsing does indicate that the DVD drive is incompatible with Windows 10. In the HP compatibility site, I don't see even the notepad listed.

I suggest the Hitachi popup is a red herring , probably from a false driver update.

Reaction score
I do have the latest bios and other drivers.

Hi Matt,

what version of Win 10 do you have and is the system fully up to date?.

Do you have the latest BIOS installed as well as the latest drivers for your laptop?. :)

That said, there appears to be no Win 10 drivers for your rig at HP:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-635-notebook-pc/5086719 :eek:

Ask a Question