DVD Drive

Reaction score
Hi all just joined.
Having just today upgraded to Windows 10 , which ran very smoothly I now find that my DVD drive does not work.
Its not in device manager , any suggestions would be much appreciated , thank you for your time.:)

Reaction score
When DVD Drive is Missing after an upgrade try this

Resolution 5: Create a registry subkey

Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To create the registry subkey, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.

2. Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

3. In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

4. Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.

5. Type Controller0, and then press Enter.

6. Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .

7. Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.

8. Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....

9. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.

10.Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

Reaction score
Charles
Similar problem, upgraded yesterday and the DVD drive has disappeared. I tried the above fix but this did not make it visible. Also lost the driver for my screen so am having to work in a very unusual resolution but cannot load the drivers as the DVD will not work.
upload_2015-8-8_16-23-36.png

above is the sys info. Any ideas gratefully received.

thanks

Reaction score
Charles
Similar problem, upgraded yesterday and the DVD drive has disappeared. I tried the above fix but this did not make it visible. Also lost the driver for my screen so am having to work in a very unusual resolution but cannot load the drivers as the DVD will not work.
View attachment 680
above is the sys info. Any ideas gratefully received.

thanks
Have you tried, Right Click on empty space of your Desktop and click on Display Settings, then click on Advanced Settings. You should be able to change your resolution there. Also the drive might not show up until you put a disk in. Check if it is listed in the hardware manager.

Reaction score
Thank you Charles, two things have frustrated me after upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, the disappearing CD/DVD drive and the constant light on the HDD. Both of these have been corrected by your clear explanation above.

ATS

Reaction score
Similar problem here with the disk drive disappearing. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop that worked fine until the update. I inserted a DVD with no success. I can hear the device spinning, but nothing shows up. This is my view when I go to check the status --- it shows that the driver is there but has an error. Unfortunately IT is not my expertise so struggling with something that seems that Microsoft should have looked for before rolling out.

upload_2015-8-22_15-28-39.png

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score

Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

2. Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow

10.Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

10.Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

Ask a Question