dvd drives not working

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and windows 10. I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. My computer is a desktop, cpu is amd tri core and I have 6Gb of memory. Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 my dvd drives have not worked, they worked fine with Windows 7, I have searched the internet for answers, found 2 that I tried but they didn't work. The first one I tried was to reinstall the drivers, I uninstalled the drivers for both dvd drives and then restated my computer, the last one I tried was a script change to the registry, where you go into regedit and then into HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi, then you create a folder called Controller0, then you left click and click on NEW and type in, 'EnumDevice1' as 'RegDWORD' and then modify to binary 1 hex, exit regedit and restart your computer. I also found a script file that I think was suppose to do the same thing if you were uncomfortable editing the registry manually, I down loaded the file double clicked on it and then restarted my computer. They still do not work properly. I am just about to go back to Windows 7, if I can get them to work I'll stay with windows 10. Please can someone help me out as I have reached my wit's end and don't know what to do next, Please help>

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager, restart, then install it. Or is that what you meant to say?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 my dvd drives have not worked
Are they showing in device manager and does the property page for each show that they are working properly?

Capture.PNG

Did you by chance, in Windows 7, use the Region Tab to change the region settings for the DVDs?
I assume you have tried using various optical media sources (data, music, blank etc.,) to test?

There is a small chance that they may be attached to a second drive controller on your motherboard and consequently may need a driver for that controller to work properly.
Have you checked with the computer manufacturer and or the motherboard manufacturer to make sure all your drivers are up to date, specifically......
BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controllers, etc.,

Reaction score
Yes, both show in device manager and looked in properties and in each it says that both are working properly. I looked further under perties for each drive and both say that they were not migrated over, dated 12/10/2015. Not sure how to proceed from here will do further search and will post what I found out.

Reaction score
I did a search for how to fix dvd not migrated for windows 10, tried Control Panel, troubleshooting, it ran a scan for hardware changes, didn't find any. I again looked in device manager, DVD/cd-rom drives and then right clicked on first dvd drive, clicked properties, event viewer and top event said device not migrated. Did the same for second dvd drive and found same, device not migrated. I have never encountered this issue before, so I do not know how to fix the problem, please tell me how I can fix this problem.

Ask a Question