SOLVED DVD not recognised

Reaction score
5 weeks ago I upgraded my 6 yo desktop running 32 bit W7 Pro to W10 Pro. Everything worked well.
Today I cloned the boot HDD onto a new Samsung 850 Pro SSD. System boots much faster now, problem is the DVD drive has disappeared (BIOS sees it ok). Any clues?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Disk Management from the context menu.
Does Disk Management show the DVD drive?
Does it show that it has a drive letter?

Reaction score
Right click the Start Button and choose Disk Management from the context menu.
Does Disk Management show the DVD drive?
Does it show that it has a drive letter?
No. Five volumes are listed (4 are correctly identified and labelled C,D,E,F) with the top listing being a 450MB Recovery Partition, a partitioned section of my original boot HDD, now called "D" drive, which I haven't reformatted as yet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So nothing like this??

Capture.JPG

IF not..... give this a try https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/dvd-drive-not-detected-by-windows-10.2185/#post-9349

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble but I solved the problem by first unplugging all drives (except the new SSD boot drive), then rebooting the system each time I reconnected a drive. Windows at last recognised the DVD drive. I'm not that confident with fiddling with regedit so thought I'd try the above first and "voila". I'm sure it was a Win problem as BIOS had no trouble with the drives.

Ask a Question