DVD Player

Reaction score
Several months ago I updated my OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Yesterday was the first time I tried to use my laptop's DVD Player. I got an error message ("Unknown Directory") and the DVD kept ejecting. I am assuming that this is a obsolete Driver issue. Any thoughts and remedy recommendations will be appreciated.

Eric

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you get the same error message on all media you insert into the optical drive (music, data disc, etc.)?

Reaction score
I do not know. I tried several DVDs but they were the same type.

I saw another line of communication in this forum with the same problem from last August and the solution was to do a change in the registry. I loathe in fooling around with the registry. I would have guess that the problem is related to out-of-date drivers. To me it makes more sense to check out the drivers before jumping into the registry. Since the problem occurred when I updated to Windows 10 I wonder if MicroSoft has a fix or at least a third-party application that will update the driver(s). Any thoughts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically the registry change will impact an optical drive that is not showing up at all.
IF yours is there and just producing an error it may have more to do with the media than with the drive.
Try playing an audio CD (music) or opening a data CD where you have stored some files (pictures or such).

Reaction score
Typically the registry change will impact an optical drive that is not showing up at all.
IF yours is there and just producing an error it may have more to do with the media than with the drive.
Try playing an audio CD (music) or opening a data CD where you have stored some files (pictures or such).

Reaction score
A few folks have found that DVD drive does not work, I hear that Microsoft want to charge you £10 to get it going BUT the simple way is to install VLCPlayer. That fixes the problem and thats the advice that I was given (and took)

Ask a Question