SOLVED DVD RW

Reaction score
Went to burn an mp3 for the car the other day. Nero apparently burned it correctly, but it wouldn't read when in the car.

Now when I put any disk in the drive (whether I burned it myself or a commercial CD), it is not recognised by my virus software, which would usually scan it, nor any app on the PC. If I invoke file explorer, it shows a message dated 29 August (the date Windows 10 installed, I believe), claiming that a desktop.ini file is waiting to be burned, the contents of which is:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815

That the burn is outstanding since then is confusing, as I believe that I have read disks since & as mentioned, tried a burn recently. Likewise, I can't imagine how & why I would want to burn such a file anyway.

When I interrogate the Asus DRW-24D3ST with Device Manager, it avers that the device is working properly. I tried troubleshooting Hardware which indicated that it had made a change to something that wouldn't resolve the issue, if I recall the phraseology correctly, but without change.

I blew the queued .ini file away after saving it elsewhere, but that didn't change things either.

There are no listed problem reports for this device. There is a failed to fix report for an unknown device.

Where do I go from here?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Where do I go from here?
Good question, I'm not sure, I think I would probably first check
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs
Both "File Explorer" as well as "Windows Shell Experience Host"
and confirm that "This program has all its' defaults" is reflected for both.
Then I would probably examine what the defaults are for "Nero" and perhaps see if making some changes there might help the problem.
I don't have that program installed so I can't be specific.
Are you using the latest version of Nero? I remember in earlier preview testing there was another burning software that was causing some issues with Windows 10 behavior, except I don't remember the name.

Reaction score
Sorted it (mainly) today. Went to Acer to check for a new driver & they recommended the commercial product Driver Navigator. Said WTF & bought it. The drive started to recognize disks again when I updated my Intel chipset driver. I still have to assign apps & functions, but right now it's more than a coffee cup holder again.

Ask a Question