DVD writing problems

Reaction score
When I try to write a video to a DVD, I get the message "Windows can't read the disc in E:/"
This is with a brand new Verbatim disc. However, if I right click and go to 'Properties' I get "0 byes used; 4,900,000.000+ free bytes" so the blank DVD is being read.
THe DVD writer is a new Asus writer, installed because when the 'Wndows can't read...' message first came up, I thought that the probem was with the writer.
Any help to overcome this very annoying problem would be much appreciated.
RogerA

Reaction score
I'm using Serif MoviePlus X6 but there have never been any problems with it over the years when I have used earlier versions of their program.

Reaction score
OK that doesn't seem to be the issue. I was hoping you were using software and not thinking Windows would burn disk natively.

I've had a time or two when DVD drives don't know how to read newer media. This can be resolved by firmware update (if one exist) for the drive. It has been ages since I've needed one though, so I'm not completely certain this is your problem.

The only other thing I can think of is questioning the drive integrity. In general DVD drives do have a short life span.

I have had a drive go bad once. The drive would read, but for some reason it would not write. I had another identical drive that quit working all together. After swapping components, I was able to get one working again. They both developed problems with different components.

Reaction score
Thanks for trying. I think that there is a link with some discs showing "0 byes used; 0 bytes free", which can't both be true!

Ask a Question