SOLVED Edge after new major update

Reaction score
After the big update at the end of last month, Edge has lost all my favourites. Will they still be somewhere on the computer (like the old favourites on IE).

Bif

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, but easiest thing to do is a system restore to sometime before the last problem update ..this should restore your favourites, then make a backup to your desktop and run Windows update again.
This way you can restore them once you finish the update...and Bob's your uncle!

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, but easiest thing to do is a system restore to sometime before the last problem update ..this should restore your favourites, then make a backup to your desktop and run Windows update again.
This way you can restore them once you finish the update...and Bob's your uncle!

Reaction score
Thanks for advice. Where in the backup will the Edge favourites be held if another Windows update loses the favourites again.

Bif

Reaction score
My apologies @Pensioner1 ...as I don't use Edge at all, I'm not familiar with it's workings as I maybe should be.
But with some digging I did manage to find this tidbit from MS forum, hopefully this helps.

"Edge does not natively provide this feature, but you can use the free 3rd-party application called EdgeManage to accomplish these tasks. Take a look, if you like:

http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html

On the other hand, if you're just gonna do a reload on the same PC... and same user, you can just copy the contents of these folders to a safe place, and restore them when you're done:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\RoamingState

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User"

Reaction score
My apologies @Pensioner1 ...as I don't use Edge at all, I'm not familiar with it's workings as I maybe should be.
But with some digging I did manage to find this tidbit from MS forum, hopefully this helps.

"Edge does not natively provide this feature, but you can use the free 3rd-party application called EdgeManage to accomplish these tasks. Take a look, if you like:

http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html

On the other hand, if you're just gonna do a reload on the same PC... and same user, you can just copy the contents of these folders to a safe place, and restore them when you're done:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\RoamingState

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User"

Unfortunately these 2 folders are empty so copying them will not save the favourites.

Reaction score
Open IE and see if you have the favourites there. If so, get back into edge and import them.
Recently, MS stopped using the folder suggested in the link above. They are now stored in a Dbase.

The emmet.gray suggestion is excellent. I have used the program to sort the bookmarks, but, of course,it is used for manipulating the Edge favourites. If you don't have any, it will be empty. It does, however, have the ability to import/export from IE and recover the original database, so you could get luck with the program.
P.S. Later. You have, in the settings of edge, reinstated the bookmarks bar?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Drilled down and found this folder. But, if you find it is populated, you need to identify each icon to make sense of it.

C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\Favorites

Ask a Question