Edge opening up in minimised view

Reaction score
In the last few days, when I boot up, Edge always opens in fully minimised view. It always used to remember the view setting I had when closing down - I always close down each night with Edge still open. Other apps are shut down before closing down.

In my start up settings, Edge, Outlook, a file backup app and a file manager app are set to load on boot. Apart from Edge, the others open in the size I close them down in.

I use a twin screen view. I normally use Edge in a 80% maximise view so that I can easily move it from one screen to the other - I usually have 2 or 3 applications open at any one time for work I do.

All Win updates are applied the day they arrive.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop Edge opening minimised.

Regards Jonathan

Regedit32

Reaction score
How close is the edge of your re-sized Edge window to Screen's edge?

I ask this, as if its close enough it may be triggering the Snap-in feature of Windows 10 Desktop, and that would prevent the window size and position being remembered for Edge. To resolve that you'd simply need to move the window away from the screen edge, or slightly resize it down from 80% to something like 75%.

I've not had the issue you are describing in a standard install of Windows 10, and can assure you that in the Insider builds its working fine and remembering Edge's windows position and size [ so long as it has not snapped-in to position ].

Reaction score
How close is the edge of your re-sized Edge window to Screen's edge?

I ask this, as if its close enough it may be triggering the Snap-in feature of Windows 10 Desktop, and that would prevent the window size and position being remembered for Edge. To resolve that you'd simply need to move the window away from the screen edge, or slightly resize it down from 80% to something like 75%.

I've not had the issue you are describing in a standard install of Windows 10, and can assure you that in the Insider builds its working fine and remembering Edge's windows position and size [ so long as it has not snapped-in to position ].

Thanks for quick answer. I tried a number of reboots and Edge sizes and positions on shut down. Whatever combination I try, it still opens on reboot as full minimised.

This never happened before last Sunday, I think I first noticed it on Sunday's boot up. Also, when shut down as full maximised it still opens on boot as full minimised. I have not shut down before as full max, so, I don't know if reverting to full min on boot is normal.

It remains an annoying problem. Hopefully a solution will come about.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Thanks for quick answer. I tried a number of reboots and Edge sizes and positions on shut down. Whatever combination I try, it still opens on reboot as full minimised.

This never happened before last Sunday, I think I first noticed it on Sunday's boot up. Also, when shut down as full maximised it still opens on boot as full minimised. I have not shut down before as full max, so, I don't know if reverting to full min on boot is normal.

It remains an annoying problem. Hopefully a solution will come about.

Jonathan

Hi, re my last in case it is connected, I also notice that when moving the cursor across from one screen to other, the cursor has started to stall at the screen edge, I have to move cursor back from edge then across again to get it to go to the other screen. This is not a constant issue, but, happens many times a day.

Also found that the Win10 settings window now also opens in full minimised.

Maybe this is a video card issue. I am using my older standby machine while rebuilding my main high spec one. The video card is Nvidia GEForce210 with Nvidia driver. Windows update says I have the latest driver.

Jonathan

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm that is really odd.

Have you gone to Start > Settings cog > Apps and left-clicked on Microsoft Edge and then clicked Advanced Options and tried either Repair or Reset to see whether that debugs it for you?

Ask a Question