SOLVED Edit posts

Reaction score
Anyone else experiencing this, or have I clicked something I shouldn't have?

I no longer have the option to Edit my own posts - from today. I suspect it is the allowed time, before editing, as I see it is immediately available but goes after a few minutes.

Reaction score
I think I will mark this as solved. I can no longer edit the above, after two hours, possibly less. But maybe that is normal!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, there's a 2 hour time limit on editing posts (been that way since the forum started). Spammers are so sneaky these days that they will edit in link spam at a later date, so we've had to put some sort of limit in place. Hopefully 2 hours is enough for most people to spot any errors/corrections that need making.

I'm always happy to fix/update a post if it needs editing at a later date, so just drop me a PM if that's the case :).

Reaction score
Is there no way to drop this limitation for resident members with XenForo software? I'd wager by the time spammers reach a post count of 25, they are caught and banned.

Reaction score
Not so sure that would be a good idea, Cliff. Even established members could go back and , after consideration, alter the contents of their original post, unthinkingly, and by doing so, mess up the whole context of subsequent posts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There is a way to do this via the promotions system, but it's still open to lots of abuse - spammers will do anything to get around filters and restrictions (including acting as a regular member for the first x number of posts, which happens a lot). We've even had members come back years later and try to edit spam in to posts. The current system strikes a good balance and I'm always happy to help edit posts at a later date if that is required - it so rarely occurs, but is generally for something like a broken link :).

Reaction score
I agree , basically, Chris. I confess that, these latter days, I spens a lot of time away from my domestic computers. A lot of my posts are done on a tablet, tucked under my ar for ready use - touchpad, od course. When I come back later, I am sometimes shocked at the mistakes I spelling and grammar and only have a need to correct them.

Anyway, off topic. My large family have unexpectedly descended on me for Easter. Full house for a couple of days. Catch you all later!!!!!!!

Ask a Question