Editing of previous post

Reaction score
I don't think it is anything I have altered. I can see in my post history, that I have edited my posts in the past, but I can no longer find such a function.

Anyone?

2 seconds later! Forget it. Now I see that this one I can edit. investigating further!!!

Reaction score
I think the Admin panel has the option to limit the length of time a comment can be edited. I just looked at my last comment and don't see the edit function either.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain you're coirrect and that the length of time a poster is able to return to his or her post and click the edit link and change it.
I'm also relatively certain that Ian is the only one who can make that adjustment.
Does anyone have a suggested time limit that you believe will work for everyone? Just by way of a suggestion / recommendation?

Reaction score
I can certainly see the problem, if an essential link is altered. But it could have a repercussion if an attempt to update a genuine link is intended . I have frequently had recourse to this on other forums. It could even be that you send off a post last thing in the day, and realised you have made a faux pas. The next day, when you open it, you are no longer able to edit it!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The next day
So.... are you suggesting that perhaps something like an 8 to 12 hour time limit would be satisfactory?
Just looking for ideas and a general concensus.

Reaction score
I'd say 2 or 3 days for allowing the OP to make corrections. Beyond that if Ian wants the forum locked down so members can't edit/delete weeks later, I think Moderators are all that really need editing privileges beyond 3 days.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable to me, but....
It's totally up to Ian as to how that's configured and what is even possible in that regard.

Reaction score
LOL. Writing again. I cant edit the earlier post!!

No rudeness intended to Admin or moderators, but perhaps this is a storm in a teacup.

I am on several other forums, as is Trouble. I dont have any problems with editing, however old the post, on any??

One has an even more irritating feature - a "cooling off" period. You are not allowed to edit until the post has been approved by a moderator..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, I totally missed this thread!

There is a time limit set at the moment (2 hours), mainly because we've been getting spammers that post a normal looking message but come back to edit links in to the post. Perhaps a way around this is to allow users with over x number of posts being able to edit for a much longer period.

I'll take a look at this next week, as well as adding some other tweaks and improvements here and there :).

Reaction score
Ah. That triggered one of the filing cabinets in my brain. That is exactly how it is done on other forums. It's a question building up trust. The moderators keep an eye on it and make sure the required posts are worthwhile.

Ask a Question