SOLVED 'Eject Expansion Disk' message typo?

Reaction score
I have an external USB 5TB Seagate expansion disk connected to my Win 10 desktop (Version 1803).
If I click on the 'up arrow' icon in the windows task bar followed by the icon for the USB drive, one of the options I get is 'Eject Expansion Desk'.
'Desk' has to be a typo. It should be 'Disk'.

It's not a big deal but I was wondering if the text for this message is built into Windows or could it originate from the disk drive itself or even the BIOS?
Has it been corrected in a later Windows update?
I tried a Google search to see if this was a known error but found nothing.

Reaction score
It could be the Label on the drive itself, right-click the drive letter itself and see if there is a Rename choice? If so, call it what you want, I use WD2TB [brand and size] for a USB drive. The name can be up to 11 or 13 characters.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's probably branding by the manufacturer
Just like mine says Eject Elements 25A2

Capture.PNG

13 Letters assigned by Western Digital even though I labeled it as seen WD_2TB
I assume it's a Seagate Expansion Desktop drive or Deskstar or some other such wording.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I just changed the name of my C drive from Local to Windows 10. Now I get the same lettering as you do. Before it just said C drive.

drive.png

Reaction score
If I open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive letter and select Properties, under the 'General' tab, the name I get is 'Seagate Expansion Drive'.

If I look in Device Manager under 'Disk Drives', it's listed as 'Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device'.
This looks a bit odd, not just because of the word 'Desk' but also because it's a USB device and not SCSI.

Looking through the various Properties under the 'Details' tab I can see a number of references to 'Desk Device'.
In particular, the 'Display Name' property is given as 'Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device'.
As far as I can tell, It's not something the user can easily change unless you edit the registry:-

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\SCSI\Disk&Ven_Seagate&Prod_Expansion_Desk\000000

Attachments

• Seagate.jpg
    Seagate.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Seagate_1.jpg
    Seagate_1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Based upon pages found on https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Seagate+Expansion+Desk&t=ffnt&ia=shopping I'd say the typo is most likely that it should be Desktop rather than just Desk.

As for SCSI I saw it a few years ago when it was also meant as USB in some BIOSes, kind of a catch-all thing before USB became more popular.

Added: If you do decide to edit the Registry I'd suggest clicking on Computer at the top of list on left side, then clicking File and choose Export, save elsewhere as a backup of the Registry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"Based upon pages found on https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Seagate+Expansion+Desk&t=ffnt&ia=shopping I'd say the typo is most likely that it should be Desktop rather than just Desk. "

Yes I think you are right...

The name 'Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device' contains both 'Desk' and 'Disk' so it's most probably not a typo but a reference to the device being an external desktop drive rather than an internal drive.

As it's probably intentional, I'm going to leave things alone.

Reaction score
"Based upon pages found on https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Seagate+Expansion+Desk&t=ffnt&ia=shopping I'd say the typo is most likely that it should be Desktop rather than just Desk. "

Yes I think you are right...

The name 'Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device' contains both 'Desk' and 'Disk' so it's most probably not a typo but a reference to the device being an external desktop drive rather than an internal drive.

As it's probably intentional, I'm going to leave things alone.
Sounds like a good plan.

Ask a Question