Ejecting a flash drive

Reaction score
In Windows 10, I insert the flash drive and the File Explorer window opens. I then double click on a file to open it's supporting app. I close both the File Explorer window and the app and eject the drive. The first eject results in a "device is currently in use" message. The second click displays the "Safe to remove" message.

If I don't open the app and just close the File Explorer window, the first eject attempt is successful.

Is this a bug or intended behavior?

In Win 7, I could eject the drive without closing the Windows Explorer window or the app. Ejecting the drive would close the Windows Explorer window and leave the app open, displaying the "Safe to remove" message. The file would remain in memory to be read. But an attempt to save it would fail.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this a bug or intended behavior?
Probably a bug.
I've been running Windows 10 since October and it has exhibited a reluctance to turn loose of USB attached storage devices in many of the previous preview builds and I have noticed, still occasionally will give the old, device is being used by another application message or some such variation.
It's certainly better now than it has been in the past, but evidently still needs a bit of spit and polish.

Ask a Question