Eliminate startup picture and login screens

Reaction score
I have a new computer running Windows 10 pro Version 2009, Build 19044.1586. On startup I am confronted with a pretty picture screen. When I click on it, it jumps to a screen that simply shows the word "Login" in a box. Clicking on the box sends me to my home screen. I have tried a dozen methods for getting rid of these screens without success. Many of the recommended methods call for actions that do not exist on my computer. Any ideas? This does not happen on my laptop which will open with my home screen. There's gotta be a way.

Reaction score
You can't eliminate them completely, you have to be able to login. Go to Settings > Personalisation > Lock Screen, this is the screen you see when you power on or lock the computer.

Change the Background to 'Picture' and select an image to show - you can use your own photo or one of the supplied images.

Turn off 'Fun facts, tips & tricks', unless you like them of course.

Turn on 'Show lock screen background picture on sign in screen'.

Then, when you power on, you'll see the image you selected and when you press a key or click the mouse the sign-in box will appear on this image. I believe that's about as simple as you can make it and still stay secure (with a login).

You can setup Windows to login automatically (Google it) but I don't recommend it.

Reaction score
r if you don't want to google, you can look at my post #6 here (o several other contributers on the forum)

Reaction score
Thanks for reply Dave, but I do not want to substitute another picture for the one Microsoft gives me. What I want to do is have the computer open to my desktop without any intermediate steps. As it is, I am initially confronted with the Microsoft picture. When I click on it, I get a new screen which has a button on it that says "Login". It does not ask for ID or password. Clicking on that button takes me to my desktop screen. None of the solutions that Google turned up has worked.

Reaction score
No picture in my link. It merely takes you straight to the desktop, which I thought was what you were seeking

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I am seeking. But none of the solutions suggested have worked. Of course you guys are more mature than me. I am only 84.

Reaction score
Go to my post as I linked. Click the "zip" file and it will open. Click on the *.exe you then see, and let it do its thing. Restart.

Reaction score
Your recommendation worked! Those screens are gone after bootup. However, those screens still appear when the system recovers from sleep mode. I Googled this problem and found several Windows 10 solutions, all involving Settings menu items "Sign-in Options" or "Lock Screen" that don't appear to exist on my computer. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I'll work on it. Maybe another member will pop in. No something I have ever put to the test as I have never used the alleged Screensavers

Ask a Question