Email Ping sound won't turn off

Reaction score
Suddenly yesterday I started to get an annoying ping when I get a new email. I unclicked "Play Sound" in email settings but it didn't work. It still pings. I go and check the setting and it's still unclicked. I did notice though it's still unclicked, when I hover over the save or disclard, I don't get the hand (it's like those are disabled). Then I found this morning that it even pings when the PC is turned off.

Any other place to turn this annoying feature off? Yesterday I even did a system restore out of desperation. The ping is driving me crazy.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi FauxReal,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your issue sounds very odd to me given in your opening thread you stated:

Then I found this morning that it even pings when the PC is turned off.

If your computer is turned off, its impossible you'd here any audio notifications coming from it, so I am assuming you mean something else when you say 'turned off' given its not April 1 today,

It would help to know what Email application you use on your computer, as its likely you can disable notifications within the application, but given you have not provided these details here is a work-around for you, until you can post some more information.
  • In the bottom right corner of screen you will see the System tray on your Taskbar which includes the Clock, Action Center (Notification), Network, Speaker icons among other items.
  • Right-click on the Speaker icon and select Sounds
  • In the Sounds window that opens is a pane containing options. Scroll down the list of options and left-click once on Notification to highlight it.
Sounds1.png
  • After highlighting the Sounds: Drop Arrow field located below this pane will become activated. Left-click on this Drop arrow field then Scroll to top of choices and select [None]
Sounds2.png

• Now click Apply, then click OK

Reaction score
It didn't work. I also tried changing the sound scheme to none but that didn't work either. So I did a restart to see if that worked but it didn't - still pinging. I don't understand why it just suddenly started pinging.

I use Outlook mail. In settings I went to options/message options and unclicked play a sound when new items arrive. It's still unclicked. Strange that it was clicked (I assume by default) but didn't ping before Thursday.

I was surprised yesterday morning when I got the ping even when the PC was turned off - it wasn't just in sleep mode but shutdown.
Thanks for trying.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you double checked.....
Start -> Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions (left column)
As to how your settings slider is configured with respect to your Mail program. Also if you have a mobile device (like my Windows 10 Phone) you may be getting notifications from that resource as well.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
Yes, I did that yesterday,

My mail icon under Notifications just says "Mail" not "Outlook 2016" and I don't have a "mobile device" icon. I even moved the slider for all notifications to the off position but it still pinged. Also, if you click on the mail icon there's a list to configure preferences and a separate box to turn off sound and I slid that to off but it still pinged. It looks to me like that icon is associated with the action center and not Outlook itself. Checking the action center after a ping, there are no notifications.

I never got pings from my cell phone before and I never synched my cell phone to the computer. The cell phone idea is interesting but I don't think that's it. My cell phone is usually off because I live in a place that only gets 2 bars.

The good thing is the ping made me unsubscribe from a bunch of emails. Thankfully it doesn't ping for junk mail.

Nothing seems to work. This computer has a mind of it's own. Big mystery for me is why it just suddenly started pinging for emails.

Thanks for trying.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it just a ding or is it accompanied by the banner notification as well?
Do you have multiple email accounts configured? Did you check the box "apply to all accounts"?

Reaction score
No other email accounts - just one in Outlook. It only dings - no banner.

It seems to me sound has been turned off everywhere. I'm about ready to give up.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm about ready to give up.
Me too.
I hope this isn't going to turn out to be some bloatware product that the manufacturer installed as part of their desktop manager or desktop bar or other such crap.
Try clean booting the system
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I still fail to understand how a computer that has been shut down is making any noise at all?

Have you considered that the computer is not actually successfully shutting down and that the ping noise you are hearing is in fact a warning beep letting you know you have an imminent hardware failure issue going on?

I'd seriously consider consulting the manual for your computer from the manufacturer website and research the beep codes, as that will help you figure out which hardware may be failing.

Reaction score
I'll check the manual. I know it sounds weird but it did ding when it was shutdown.

When it first started the ding it seemed random and I did google to see the reasons but then I realized that every ding coincided with the receipt of an email. I've even sent myself test emails and watched them come into the inbox and ding.

Trouble mentioned bloatware so I checked to see if something was installed the day it started and somehow the McAfree webadvisor was installed and a Lenovo Settings app were both installed that day (my pc is a Lenovo all-in-one). I uninstalled both but it still dings when an email is received.

I thank you and Trouble for your suggestions. I'll let you know if I solve it. I have a feeling I have to live with it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well what happens then if you right-click the Speaker icon in your System tray and select Sounds then:

Sounds3.png

Reaction score
I tried that yesterday but tried it again. It didn't work. So in the list of items in the sounds is one for "message nudge" - the choice under it is "minimize" so I did that but I still get the ding. BTW, I have external speakers so when I test sounds I don't hear anything unless I have the external speakers turned on. But I get the ding when I get an email even with the external speakers turned off. Its coming from the PC itself.

But it gets stranger. I swear that it stopped doing the ding at 9:00 p.m. I sent myself a couple of emails last night and no ding. BUT this morning I sent myself a couple of emails and got the ding every time. I'm going to check it again tonight.

The only thing I did related to time was turn on quiet hours in the action center but in checking what time it's active it's from midnight to 6:00 a.m.

It's a mystery.

Reaction score
Well what happens then if you right-click the Speaker icon in your System tray and select Sounds then:

View attachment 6707

An update on my reply from Sunday:

The ding does stop at 9:00 p.m. Is there someplace this is set up? Like I said I clicked quiet hours in the action center but from Google, that's between midnight and 6 a.m. unless you change the registry and I'm afraid to go there.

Regedit32

Reaction score
This is proving to be the most mysterious issue I've seen on our Forum.

I don't have a solution for you yet, as I'm still trying to work out why this is even happening, but I do have a temporary work-around suggestion until you do get the issue resolved.

Suggestion - albeit not overly convenient
  • When to sign-in to use computer, adjust the time on the clock in System tray to be 9 pm so you an at least not have to listen to the ding. Here's hoping Trouble or someone else knows what is going on here.
  • Just don't forget to set the correct time again before signing out.

Reaction score
This is so weird - the ding stopped!

A Windows update was installed last night. This morning I'm sitting here and realize I don't hear the ding. I sent myself a couple of emails and watched them come into the inbox and no ding.

It's a mystery but I'm glad it stopped. I'll let you know if it starts again.

I appreciate all the suggestions from you and Trouble.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Automagically......
Gotta love those self-solving problems.

Ask a Question