SOLVED Email Problems

Reaction score
I was using Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail 2012. I was going to update to Windows 10, so I exported my contacts to a .csv file, and I exported my email messages to a file, both on an external drive. After updating to Windows 10 I tried to import my contacts.csv file into outlook, but it would not work. It only wanted to import an "Address Book". I tried to find out how to create an address book with my .csv files but no luck. And when I tried to import my messages, I would get a message saying "import complete", but the messages would not be there. I also tried Mozilla Thunderbird but the same things happened. Is there a good free email program to use with Windows 10 that will import my contacts.csv file and my messages file? Or is there some other solution? I am currently using Thunderbird for my email, and it works fine, I just can't import my old contacts and messages. Are they lost forever? Thanks.

Reaction score
what kind of file are your emails, you did not mention that? Thunderbird can import *eml files (just double click on them after you made Thunderbird the default program/app). Since you have used WLM2012 which is nothing but a web interface for your email account you did not have to export your emails as they are the same way in structure on the server as you have seen them on your computer. Just set Thunderbird up as IMAP instead of POP3. Everything should be re-imported then.
Regarding your contacts, Thunderbird is able to import csv files but I noticed it works better if it is a ldif file.
I can't say anything about Outlook as I do not used it at all, so in that case someone else has to jump in....

Reaction score
For a client, just earlier this month I installed WLM 2012 [ONLY] on 2 new computers with Win10. The procedure here worked worked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...computer/7757b68f-b6c3-4b48-aca3-18691c572d16
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...computer/7757b68f-b6c3-4b48-aca3-18691c572d16
But the key was WLM 2012 was on the old Win7 computers to copy from. I did use the Win10 Contacts [C:\Users\NAME\Contacts] to import a .csv file [which actually is a spreadsheet file that can be opened in Excel, QuattroPro, Lotus 1-2-3 or other such program].

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just checked and the email backup files are .eml. I did a clean install of Win 10 So it was necessary to back the files up and try to restore them. I can open the contacts in a spreadsheet, but I want to import them so I can access them in my email. Is that too much to ask?

Reaction score
Grizzly, thanks for your input. My email is Road Runner, which requires a Pop3 configuration as far as I know. That is how I was told to set it up in the beginning years ago.

Reaction score
I Import from the .csv file into C:\Users\NAME\Contacts then if necessary I Import from Contacts into an E-Mail Client.

Reaction score
I got a friend to help me get the contacts imported. He had to put them in a spread sheet and re-arrange the fields a little bit to get it to work.
Now if I can just get my email messages imported.

Reaction score
In Thunderbird, if I go to Tools/Import/mail, I get 3 choices of which kind of mail to import.
These 3 choices are:
Becky! Internet Mail
Outlook
and Outlook Express
If I chose option 1 it says it imported all the messages, and my folders show up, but they are all empty.
If I choose Outlook or Outlook Express and click on the folder my messages are saved in, it says there are no messages to import.

Reaction score
That is easy. just drag and drop your emails where you want them to be in Thunderbird. Easiest way is to have the file explorer and thunderbird side by side on the screen.then you mark all the emails you want to import and drag them in the folder you want them to be. I just tried it. It is easy. After that you can! (you don't have to) delete the emails from the original storage place.
The import function is not always the best choice (most of the time it does not work the way it was intended). It took me a while until I had figured out this way....

Reaction score
Wow, that's great !!! So simple! Thanks!!! The emails in all my smaller folders dragged and dropped perfectly. My inbox of over 8,000 emails locks up, I guess I will have to break it up in smaller pieces.

Reaction score
Glad to be of help....

If the problem is solved, would you mind to mark it as such??

Ask a Question