Email: Wrong Display Name

Reaction score
1. I set up a new profile for a person in my Contacts list.
2. I spelled her Surname incorrectly.
3. I sent her an email - and the display name showed the incorrect Surname.
4. I corrected the wrong spelling in my Contacts List.
5. Nevertheless, every time I send her an email, it attaches the old, incorrectly spelled Surname.
6. I have tried everything I can think of to correct this - but no luck.
7. I cannot break the connection between the email address and the old, incorrectly spelled Surname - even though this wrong Surname appears nowhere in my system - and the correct Surname is in all the right places now.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What email application are you using?

Outlook for example uses .pst files to store backups of your contacts etcetera, and the error may be generating from that.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you open the Contacts, click the name you want to edit so it opens in the Viewing Frame.

Note: Do not double-click as this will cause it to open in a new window

In the Viewing Frame, beneath the name picture you ought to see a link to View Source. Click that and edit the name there then save changes.

Reaction score
Is that Windows Mail; Office outlook, or the internet based Outlook.com?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF the account is a linked account and is not syncing properly, it is possible that fixing it at the source might be necessary (outlook.com, gmail.com, aol.com, yahoo.com, whatever.com)

Reaction score
IF the account is a linked account and is not syncing properly, it is possible that fixing it at the source might be necessary (outlook.com, gmail.com, aol.com, yahoo.com, whatever.com)
I have 4 email addresses that are linked by Win 10 - but I do pretty much all my email using Outlook. This problem arose while I was sending email messages using Outlook. I don't really understand what you mean by "fixing it at the source"?

Reaction score
When you open the Contacts, click the name you want to edit so it opens in the Viewing Frame.

Note: Do not double-click as this will cause it to open in a new window

In the Viewing Frame, beneath the name picture you ought to see a link to View Source. Click that and edit the name there then save changes.
I think I am where you want me to be - but I don't see any link to "View Source"? And the box with the person's name shows the correctly spelled surname - so there is nothing to be edited there.

I completely deleted this person from the Contacts List, rebooted - and added her back onto the List with all the correct information. When I went to send her an email, the incorrectly spelled surname reappeared as the display name. How can something so simple become so difficult?? That incorrectly spelled surname is imbedded somewhere; I have to find it and kill it. Why can't Win 10 Outlook readjust itself and connect the email address to the correctly spelled surname now on my Contacts List?

Regedit32

Reaction score
In that case what trouble posted is most likely correct.

You may need to go to the web server and modify the contact there, as the original may be persisting there, or you may need to remove the back up from your appdata folder for Outlook which may still be storing the incorrect information.

Reaction score
In that case what trouble posted is most likely correct.

You may need to go to the web server and modify the contact there, as the original may be persisting there, or you may need to remove the back up from your appdata folder for Outlook which may still be storing the incorrect information.
Thanks. I don't have enough computer knowledge to be able to do either of those operations.

Reaction score
Since this has proven to be such an impossible problem to solve - I've asked the family if they wouldn't mind changing their surname to the incorrect version that Microsoft now has embedded in stone (somewhere).

- wayne capancini

Reaction score
I have just noticed this interesting thread and, as happens to me so often these days, I am unclear as to the problem. I am not an "Outlook" user, but I have it installed and pop in now and again to keep it up to date.
Going back to the first post,. Wayne, what exactly do you mean by the "Display name" for the recipient?
At first I thought you meant the name which appears in the People (contact) list, but this is apparently not the case.

Regedit32

Reaction score
He is referring to the name that appears in the Email header davehc, once he has selected the contact to email a new mail to. The one if you hover over will reveal its email address.

I was discussing this with someone else I know who has experienced this and some other troubles. She spoke with Microsoft via the Contact Support app, who explained there are some bugs they are still attempting to resolve in Outlook. I have not taken a look however, apparently there is a thread running via that app from end users submitting their concerns and ideas on possible ways to resolve such bugs; so it may be worth him taking a look there too.

Reaction score
I have just noticed this interesting thread and, as happens to me so often these days, I am unclear as to the problem. I am not an "Outlook" user, but I have it installed and pop in now and again to keep it up to date.
Going back to the first post,. Wayne, what exactly do you mean by the "Display name" for the recipient?
At first I thought you meant the name which appears in the People (contact) list, but this is apparently not the case.
I add a new contact to my Contact List: Name: Joe Price; Email: (e-mail address removed).
I go to send Joe an email. As I type in (e-mail address removed) in the "To:" box, Outlook jumps ahead of me and automatically enters "Joe Price" (the Display Name) - although it will really direct the email to (e-mail address removed).

I then find out that "Price" is actually spelled "Pryce" - so I correct this in my Contact List. The next time I go to send Joe an email - whether I try to enter "(e-mail address removed)" or "Joe Pryce" in the "To:" box, Outlook jumps ahead of me and automatically enters "Joe Price" - and there is nothing I can do to change it. It does this despite the Contact List now correctly showing "Joe Pryce" as the name connected to "(e-mail address removed)". And so far - we have no solution to solving this small, innocent-looking problem. Meanwhile, Joe gets the email and says, "What a dunce! I told this guy twice my name is spelled 'Pryce' not 'Price' - why does he keep screwing it up?" Very embarrassing.

Reaction score
I see. I have some difficulty simulating that. For example, my own address in "People" is listed as David.I have others with the same classification. If I select "New Email" (We are discussing Msoutlook?) then double click "To", it automatically comes up, and inserts, the visible Email address. I always assumed this was the default? The recipient sees my name and, on a click, my Email address.

But, to send my curiosity further, What is the "App" to which your refer. - I may still be in the dark regarding what Email client the OP is using!!

Reaction score
I see. I have some difficulty simulating that. For example, my own address in "People" is listed as David.I have others with the same classification. If I select "New Email" (We are discussing Msoutlook?) then double click "To", it automatically comes up, and inserts, the visible Email address. I always assumed this was the default? The recipient sees my name and, on a click, my Email address.

But, to send my curiosity further, What is the "App" to which your refer. - I may still be in the dark regarding what Email client the OP is using!!
I am using Windows 10 Email. The person I am sending to uses Gmail.

My Outlook used to work the way you describe, i.e. click on :To:" and my Address List would appear - PRIOR to the advent of Windows 10. You could run down the list and add several recipients in one operation.

With Windows 10 - the Address List is accessed by a little person icon located just in front of the "cc: & bcc:". So if I use this icon to call up Joe, I get a box that shows only 2 things: "Joe Pryce (e-mail address removed)". "Joe Pryce" is not an active link. "(e-mail address removed)" is. When I click on it, Outlook automatically enters "Joe Price" in the "To:" box. So it appears that the only solution to this problem is for Joe Pryce to change his name to Joe Price - so he conforms to the world of MS Outlook.

And BTW, it appears you can no longer enter multiple recipients in one operation as you describe. Now you have to go to that person icon for EACH person you want to enter - a big step backward. Without going to the person icon, you can still type in the person's email address or display name in the "To:" box - but I used to use the Address List as a prompt to figure out who all I wanted to send the email to.

Reaction score
Have you tried selecting the two small figures at the bottom of the New Mail page, scroll down to JoePryce, and click, and then select the small pencil at the top (edit) This seems to give me the option to change the display name etc.

Ask a Question