Email

Reaction score
Basically the same way as you have a Vista, or Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1 computer.
Windows 10 TP comes with a Mail app, but you can install an email client and configure your desired email program.
I installed Windows Live Mail and setup my Bell.net as well as my Outlook.com (aka Hotmail.com) as my 2 email accounts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Basically the same way as you have a Vista, or Windows 7, or Windows 8/8.1 computer.
Windows 10 TP comes with a Mail app, but you can install an email client and configure your desired email program.
I installed Windows Live Mail and setup my Bell.net as well as my Outlook.com (aka Hotmail.com) as my 2 email accounts.

a question,if i may. i've been using windows live mail 2012 for years.i have 2 comcast accts and 4 hotmail accts in it.if i upgrade to w 10 will it all still be there? or will i have to reload each account? will my saved mail still be there?
i ask because i'm technically inept,and to make it worse,i don't remember my passwords as i have everything set on auto. thanks

Reaction score
If you do an UPGRADE install, you get to keep all your files, settings and most programs such as Windows Live Mail.

If you do a CLEAN install, you will have to re-install all your 3rd party programs such as Windows Live Mail.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just installed windows 10 and already facing some issues. Regarding the mail:
1. Do I have to keep the mail application open in order for being aware of new incoming mails? I mean, is there an option where if even my application is not open I will still get notifications about incoming mails?
2. why new emails are not showing up in action center? if I am getting it right, this center is also a center for getting notifications from various applications. I have turned on the option of showing new emails in action center from the settings of the applications, however, it still does not show up there.

I need help with above mentioned problems.

best,

Amil

Reaction score
If you do an UPGRADE install, you get to keep all your files, settings and most programs such as Windows Live Mail.

If you do a CLEAN install, you will have to re-install all your 3rd party programs such as Windows Live Mail.

thanks
i'm not doing anything for a month or so anyway
let the bugs get worked out

Reaction score
I use Thunderbird email client for 2 accounts, Gmail and an ISP account. It worked after the upgrade with all mail and calendar preserved.
I believe that the Mail client that comes with W10 will work well but it has no sensible way of preserving the mail database from Thunderbird.
I have Office 365 with Outlook and of course that will work. There are programs available that will convert Thunderbird's mail format directly to PST files for Outlook. I will spend some time trying those on the next rainy weekend!

Ask a Question