Emails won't work after I downloaded windows 10

Reaction score
I am not complaining about W10 as It is in my own opinion much easier to use that W8.1. But as I am not great on pc's, just a basic user. I do like to write emails etc,etc.The problem that I have is this after downloading W10 on Thursday last I can't send or receive emails / gmails. Now I have also deleted account and reset them in the email app and no avail. I turned off my AVG firewall and I was able to send and receive mail but as soon as I put the firewall back on again the emails stopped and I am now back to square one again.. I have been on many websites and no help. Is there anybody who can please post a quick fix for the basic user in easy to do steps. Any help would be very much appreciated..

It's been driving me crazy since Thursday ...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
It would seem that the answer to your question is actually in your question.
I turned off my AVG firewall and I was able to send and receive mail but as soon as I put the firewall back on again the emails stopped
I suppose it is possible that your "AVG Firewall" is competing with the native Windows Firewall.
Maybe you could do without one or the other?

Reaction score
I checked the W10 firewall and it showed that AVG was running and not windows firewall.. My emails were running perfect before I downloaded W10...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My emails were running perfect before I downloaded W10...
I'm sure.
No one is questioning that.
What are you using for your email client?
It could be that your version of AVG is just not compatible with the new APIs in the Mail App.
Have you checked the Store App and "checked for updates" I believe their are several including one for the mail app.

EDIT: It may also be that you would have to add the email client to the AVG trusts so the Firewall will permit it through.
If it works with AVG off then the problem is likely AVG and how it is configured.

Reaction score
Thank's for the replies. What is a email client. Is it my outlook from office 365 or google mail. I never use the outlook. What mail app are you referring to. Also which store apps. Please excuse my PC knowledge .. I am in my 50's..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
An email client is the program (interface) that you use when viewing (reading) and sending emails.
So starting very slow and at the beginning, what or how do you send and receive emails?

The "Mail App" that I am referring to is the native Mail App in Windows 10 on your start menu with the little envelope.

The Store App is likewise a native Windows Trusted App that looks like a shopping bag icon.... also among the tiles on your start menu.

the Start Menu is what pops up when your click the Windows Logo in the bottom left corner of your screen.

Reaction score
Anyway I have been doing a little research since last on this thread and the problem is with W10. Going to use my GOOGLE. gmail from now on till this Glitch is sorted by W10.

My PC is running perfect without using the email app/tile..at least I now know it wasn't me...

But the very best of luck to whoever sorts it.

Ask a Question