Empty folders in "one drive"

Reaction score
I successfully transferred all my files and data from my old computer (windows 7) to my new computer which uses Windows 10,using "laplink". It placed all the files in "one drive". I set up a local account initially rather than a Microsoft account. So far so good. I then wanted to change my local account to a Microsoft account, which proved somewhat difficult. I ended up creating a new Microsoft account for myself, so I have now got 2 accounts for myself-one local and one Microsoft. In the Microsoft account, however, when I look into file explorer I seem to have lost about 95% of the files I transferred from my old computer. The folders are there but when I click on them it says "folder empty". I would eventually like to delete the local account but am afraid if I do so I may lose most of my photogrphs and music files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Depending on where "the folders" are located they could very well be profile specific.
In other words, if the files / folders / data were copied in C:\Users\UserNameOne (raw or into sub-containers in that profile) they will not be present in C:\Users\UserNameTwo or any of its' sub-directories.

Reaction score
Depending on where "the folders" are located they could very well be profile specific.
In other words, if the files / folders / data were copied in C:\Users\UserNameOne (raw or into sub-containers in that profile) they will not be present in C:\Users\UserNameTwo or any of its' sub-directories.
Thanks for the reply-if this is the case any suggestions as to how to correct it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Copy (not move) the items or (depending on the data structure) their respective subfolders and files from the profile where they are, into the profile where they aren't.

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on why changing to a Microsoft account proved difficult?

Reaction score
Copy (not move) the items or (depending on the data structure) their respective subfolders and files from the profile where they are, into the profile where they aren't.
I had no problem copyng the photos onto a disc and then downloading them to my new profile. I have also managed to copy the music files onto a disc but now having problems copying them to my new profile. As you have probably realised by now ,I am quite a novice at all this!! Al your help and suggestions very gratefully received!

Reaction score
Could you elaborate on why changing to a Microsoft account proved difficult?
I started off with a local account because the manual I use said there was no problem changing a local account to a Microsoft account. When I tried to sign in with a Microsoft account instead there didn't seem to be a problem until the final enter key where I got an error message along the lines "oops-probably our fault" If you check the Windows forums you will find similar problems being discussed. I eventually managed to create a Microsoft account from advice found in one of the forums (please don't ask how I did this-I've forgotten-I tried so many so called fixes). I now have a Microsoft account but it has now presented the problem which prompted me to start this thread

Reaction score
In earlier builds there was a situation where had you changed from a Microsoft Account to a Local account and tried to go back, it would not be allowed.

You do not seem to be in that same situation but if you were, the options on that page would not make sense and offer you something you had already done.

In some of the earlier situations you could still log onto a Microsoft account by opening and signing into the Microsoft Store or some other app. Once there you could leverage that to get your back to the full Microsoft account. If you have been moving files around and other things, your Microsoft Account on that system may have been corrupted in some manner during sync operations or something else.

Sorry I do not have a fix for you since your situation may be one of a kind. I will see if I can find some way to reset a Microsoft account by signing in directly....

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply-I now have a Microsoft account and all my photos in place-the only problem is being unable to play the music files -the titles, artist ,tracks etc have all transferred but not the actual files themselves. As there are not too many,it may be easier to delete the lot and reburn them from the original cd's

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry I do not have a fix for you
Me either, but.....
I can share a similar issue.
Over the holidays I was configuring a new Windows 10 computer for my son who had purchased it as a gift for his wife.
In some haste (he always waits for the last minute for such things) I realized that I had misspelled her username and of course didn't notice it until I had already associated that account with her MS account.
When I attempted to correct this by creating a new local account (properly spelled this time) and then associating that new account with the same MS account, I got the same message you received (Oops, probably our fault)

No problem at all getting to her OneDrive, Mail, People, etc., but still no luck associating the new user account with her MS ID, so.....
Since this was a brand new computer and there was nothing of any critical value in either account profile, I enabled the hidden administrator account, rebooted, logged on as "Administrator" and deleted the other accounts.
Rebooted and started fresh.
Created her new user account (spelled properly this time) and was able to associate it with her MS ID without further issue.

Reaction score
Hi, please always keep a local Copy/Backup on a USB Drive. Never rely 100% on a cloud drive. And I would not copy Music files/MP3 to the cloud (only as a backup) . Play them from a local drive
regards

Ask a Question