SOLVED Error 80240020

Reaction score
I'm quite unsure what (if anything) I should do.
I'm currently running a desktop PC with Win 8.1, it's fully updated (with Windows updates). I appear to have downloaded Win10 - I have a folder C:\$Windows.~BT which is 5.97gb 17168 Files, 3593 Folders. The download ended (from memory) around 3pm my time but nothing has appeared since (that's about 3 hours ago). If I run Windows Update there is nothing waiting but at 2.51pm I see an entry in Update History of a failed Upgrade to WIndows 10 Home showing error code 80240020. I've restarted the pc but nothing has changed. If I click my Get Windows 10 icon on the task bar it is still saying "Thank you for reserving etc" and still has the "Ok, notify me when ready" button which I've clicked again. I've received no notification at all that 10 is ready to install so I don't understand the Upgrade error code.
Do I have a problem and if so what should I be doing about it?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do I have a problem and if so what should I be doing about it?
Yes you do have a problem.
I and a good percentage of the rest of the planet had the same problem.
I finally gave up and went here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Used the tool, created the media (ISO) burned it to a USB Thumb Drive and did the upgrade from there.
You can do that, or the tool will also allow you to perform the upgrade from it.
Personally I prefer to have the installation media in hand.

Reaction score
I'm going to post an answer to my own question in the hope it is correct and is helpful to others. I found this answer on a Microsoft forum to the same question:
"The 80240020 error in this circumstance is that your PC is queued up for install but hasn't been prompted to go yet. Given the rush of users installing Win10, we're doing this in a paced fashion.
Hold tight and each pre-registered machine will get a notification when it's ready to kick off the install."

So I'm holding tight, even though it's a dumb idea.... if I've downloaded why on earth am I not ready to kick off the install???

Oh, and thanks Trouble, I posted my reply at the same time as you posted yours. I'm going to give it a short time and see if anything happens, if it doesn't then I'll try your suggestions.

Reaction score
Similar although I got to configuring for W10 & then left machine Wife took over at what step or message? Anyway install failed & error 80240020 came up Now doing a new download - why - not sure

Reaction score
I had the same issue. The download folder is most likely corrupt or missing files. None the less, the fix was pretty quick...delete all files in the W10 download folder and then use a command prompt to restart the download...it worked perfectly this time....I just found the issue on the Windows forum and that was the fix. I'll cut and paste the instructions but I am sure you have already installed by now. (I actually just deleted each file in the folder and left the folder in place):
  • Locate and delete this folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  • Run Command Prompt in Administrator mode (right click cmd.exe for that option)
  • Type ‘wuauclt.exe /updatenow’ (without quotes) and hit Enter

Someone else may drop by and need this...it worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Hi

I've had this error as well (several times and also a C1900101 error). Thing is I've forced the download, using the CMD-line wuauclt.exe /updatenow but it's the install that fails now, not the DL. I've removed my third party security apps (e.g. Cryptoprevent) as I read somewhere that these may prevent the upgrade succeeding.

What to do now though? I mean Win10 is only free for a year and the way it's going it may take over a year to upgrade! ;)

Reaction score
I just did the download over top? of the corrupt file & install went ahead fine this time
Looks good so far - seems faster - maybe i've shed some excess baggage?

Reaction score
So, Finally a result! I waited and waited, with growing impatience, eventually, after 2 days it burst into life. I got a blue window giving me the option to either upgrade this pc or create a drive or whatever to upgrade a different one, I selected upgrade this one and away it went. It did another large download then started various upgrade steps which went through without further problem. It all appeared to work properly but I do have an issue that it seems to have lost my graphics card which I'm opening another thread about. SO patience with the upgrade seems to be the order of the day.

Reaction score
Just to finish this off. After the upgrade there was no sign at all of my graphics card, all I could see was the basic graphics driver whereas the computer is fitted with a GTX 970. I ran like this with really awful graphics for an hour then started hunting, eventually I got into the device manager and did a search for new devices, it didn't appear to find anything, ran it again, still nothing, then I finally got a window telling me to restart and add the new device and after that my graphics card appeared and everything now seems perfect. Yay! :)

Ask a Question