SOLVED "Error" in judgement?...

Bif

Reaction score
Please pardon my forum repost faux-pa..but after searching the web of misinformation I've narrowed my error message received after attempting to update to the Fall Creators to roughly a thousand possibilities..
I used MCT to the update and all seemed to going well untill it rebooted and spat out the message pictured below.
I have ample space, no conflicts with programs, up to date in updates..
And the strange thing is I just updated the ancient $5 DELL laptop that used to run XP and now runs the Fall Update FLAWLESSLY!... I'm dumbfounded..

Any ideas?... opinions?...anecdotes... winning lottery numbers?..
Cheers in advance!

IMG_20171019_134155.jpg

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Furthermore..
I used the MCT to download the ISO which I burnt to DVD, then used the MCT again to "update the computer" rather than installing it from the ISO on the DVD...
Not certain if that has anything to do with it.. but thought I'd throw it out there.

Reaction score
You have posted that you had ample space. But that error pops up because of lack of it.
How much space do you actually have? Apart from the MCT space alone, the download is cached before the installation begins. Only a wild guess, but I would imagine you need about at least 15 gigs free.

It could make a difference if, at the beginning of the install, when the appropriate window pops up, that you do NOR elect to install updates, but to wait. Maybe worth a try.
Just read your second post. It came whilst I was typing. Should be the same argument though.

Bif

Reaction score
I have 50 gigs free... apparently 20 needed for the 64bit version.
I'm currently in the middle of another attempt, hopefully smooth sailing...
If it fails this time, I'll wait my turn via Windows Updates.
will keep you abreast.

Thanks Dave for the feedback BTW!

Bif

Reaction score
No-Go for a second consecutive time, I'm done!...gonna rake some leaves!
Same error as last time, still open to what might be the problem..but will wait until the MS gods deem me worthy through updates.
Now where's that damn rake!?;)

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Thanks Norton, I ran Scannow and found nothing...don't feel comfortable enough to attempt the other scan..but I'm assuming if corrupt or missing files were the issue that Scannow would have discovered something...(or not) sometimes all this stuff just makes my head spin...good to take a step back once and awhile.
Cheers for the link!

Reaction score
Biff Silly question!
I assume you're performing the install using the local Administrator account.

Bif

Reaction score
You assume correctly Norton, this is first time I have ever encountered a problem with a cumulative update...so I count myself lucky in that respect. I'm sure it will resolve itself in the end..at this point as you were months ago with one of the updates...I'm in no rush either this time..not conceding the battle..just this round; )

Reaction score
Biff You're not alone, over 33% of users still don't have the Anniversary update yet.
It's no wonder users have so many issues. I just took my Dell Inspiron for a test drive, what a pleasure, still runs smooth, purrs like a kitten and handles anything I throw at it after all these years. It has Windows 7 under the (Bonnet) Hood.

https://betanews.com/2017/09/05/ove...10-users-still-dont-have-the-creators-update/

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a feeling this time I clicked on the MCT that something was going to go sideways..if you subscribe to the law of averages then actually I was WAY overdue for a catastrophe!;)
It just boggles the mind at how well the Fall update runs on the 13 year old $5 DELL... as you can relate!
I'm in no rush at all...twice sideways is an obvious sign.
Thanks @Norton for the help!!.. sincerely appreciated.
:)

Reaction score
My guess would be that part of your hardware is not liking the driver that WU wants to instll. If you have a good image back up. you could try a Clean Install using the MCT created USB. So far this hasn't helped my but I'll keep trying.

Bif

Reaction score
My guess would be that part of your hardware is not liking the driver that WU wants to instll. If you have a good image back up. you could try a Clean Install using the MCT created USB. So far this hasn't helped my but I'll keep trying.
I'm not sure anymore, everything passed the "prerequisites" that MS runs prior to updating so I'm thinking that isn't the problem, but honestly it's anyone's guess. Not going to tempt fate with a third go around, I'll just wait it out and prolong the angony!:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Are you doing the upgrade OFFLINE? If it is having problems installing updates during the upgrade process, it might keep the system from looking for them.

This link may have some useful info. It describes the upgrade process and shows when certain things are done and how to interpret the error messages. It also shows where to look for logs related to specific parts of the process. The SafeOS phase mentioned is the second part.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...upgrade-errors?OCID=WIP_r_20_Body_UpgradeTips

Bif

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass!...will puruse deeper later on..
Cheers for the link.
Bif

Reaction score
A note: I've done 4 in the last couple of days using the download from MCT, I uncheck the item about checking for updates, get them after the .15 has finished installing. I also store the latest updates from the Windows Update Catalog on the USB drive/s I use that have the full install setup on them. Settings, Update & Security, Learn More on the right side down a bit.

Reaction score
I gave up on my G752 notebook and am clean installing, I guess I'll be kind of quite for the next few days LOL

Bif

Reaction score
Marking as solved, as all attempts have been futile. Will wait for if/when it comes down the WU pipe.
Thanks all!

Reaction score
Bif Just one more thought. Is this you're main PC, or another lucky boot sale on a PC that was initially running a pirated copy of Windows.

Bif

Reaction score
Bif Just one more thought. Is this you're main PC, or another lucky boot sale on a PC that was initially running a pirated copy of Windows.
My daily driver Norton, legit Windows on both of them...the 5 buck DELL has the original XP sticker underneath, was upgraded to legit 7 and then 10 via a school account.
I just posted a question about on of your prior suggestions..
Cheers Norton!

Ask a Question