SOLVED Error message after Windows Login

Reaction score
Does anyone know why I get this message 'Unable to save keyboard shortcut’ after I have logged into Windows 10. For some unknown reason it appears in Italian, a language I have never used on my PC and I have used Google Translate for the translation. (Please see file below)

Unable to save shortcut key.JPG.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No idea, but...
Are you employing any third party key mapping software?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.... just thought it might be a biproduct of some third party software, perhaps even a game or something similar.
What I would suggest is...

Grab this
Take a moment to read that page to get an idea of how to use it then unzip it and go ahead. right click it and run it (Autoruns64.exe) not (autorunsc64.exe OR Autoruns64a.exe) as administrator. Click the Options menu item and make sure the top three are checked and hit the refresh/rescan (Green Arrow circle).

1643398657792.png

Don't get overwhelmed by the Everything tab. Used the individual tabs pay attention to the Logon, Explorer, Scheduled Tasks, Services, and Drivers Tabs.
See if you find anything there that might suggest something associated with that error, maybe even something specific regarding keyboard shortcuts.
IF the Entry column doesn't do it, pay attention to the Publisher column and see if that might help.

Reaction score
Sorry, please don't think I have ignored your reply but have had an exceptionally busy day today and not gotten round to trying your suggestion. Will update you when I have checked it out.

Reaction score
It might be worth checking your registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}. Check that the only value on the UpperFilters entry is kbdclass, if you have other entries (drivers) before or after kbdclass then backup the entry (so you can get it back if you need to) and then remove all values except kbdclass. Note that you may find that some application 'special' keys no longer work after this.

Reaction score
It might be worth checking your registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}. Check that the only value on the UpperFilters entry is kbdclass, if you have other entries (drivers) before or after kbdclass then backup the entry (so you can get it back if you need to) and then remove all values except kbdclass. Note that you may find that some application 'special' keys no longer work after this.
Thanks, have checked this but kbdclass sits alone!

Reaction score
OK.... just thought it might be a biproduct of some third party software, perhaps even a game or something similar.

Grab this
Take a moment to read that page to get an idea of how to use it then unzip it and go ahead. right click it and run it (Autoruns64.exe) not (autorunsc64.exe OR Autoruns64a.exe) as administrator. Click the Options menu item and make sure the top three are checked and hit the refresh/rescan (Green Arrow circle).

View attachment 13986

Don't get overwhelmed by the Everything tab. Used the individual tabs pay attention to the Logon, Explorer, Scheduled Tasks, Services, and Drivers Tabs.
See if you find anything there that might suggest something associated with that error, maybe even something specific regarding keyboard shortcuts.
IF the Entry column doesn't do it, pay attention to the Publisher column and see if that might help.

Grab this

View attachment 13986

Thanks for this suggestion - have finally followed this up but can't see anything other than several files not found. Not sure if I should uncheck them all?
file not found.JPG

Reaction score
I would suggest that you stop all (non-essential) apps from starting at boot, just disable them in the StartUp tab of Task Manager, then reboot. It's possible that it's an auto-starting app that is generating this error (something like MSOffice perhaps?).

Reaction score
I would suggest that you stop all (non-essential) apps from starting at boot, just disable them in the StartUp tab of Task Manager, then reboot. It's possible that it's an auto-starting app that is generating this error (something like MSOffice perhaps?).
Spot on ubuysa - after disabling a free app called Iconoid the error message stopped appearing. Not sure why it started to causing this problem, it was quite useful for decluttering the desktop. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion!

Ask a Question