Error Message on Boot Up - HPStatesBL.dll

Reaction score
Hi. When I start my system I get an error message stating:

C:\ProgramFiles\HP\HP Office Jet 6600\bin\HPStatesBL.dll

This is probably the result of an incomplete uninstall of the Office Jet 6600 software as I recently upgraded to an HP Office Jet 6830. The message is more of an inconvenience as one I close it it doesn't pop up again until I restart but nonetheless I would like to remove it. I checked the HP forum and the advice directed at people with similar problems did not seem to correspond to what I am seeing in Windows 10. Have any W10 users successfully overcome this sort of issue?

Reaction score
Suggestions only :
1. Go to your C:\Program Files ( or Program Files (x86) if you have a 64-bit computer ).
See if there are still some 6600 left-overs there.

2. Use regedit > open Software heading > scroll and look for any left-overs of 6600.

Reaction score
Tried both your suggestions but couldn't find anything explicity tied to the 6600. I believe it is looking for a file involved in monitoring Ink Levels.

At the HP forum the suggestion that seemed to work for most people was to go MSConfig / Startup / Monitor Ink.

The problem I have with W10 is when I MS Config and go to Startup it redirects me to the Task Manager and under the Start Up tab there, I do not see anything saying Monitor Ink.

Reaction score
Have you tried looking in C:\Users\(YOUR USER NAME)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup to see if it's trying to launch there? You could also try running CCleaner's registry cleaner.

Reaction score
C:\ProgramFiles\HP\HP Office Jet 6600\bin\HPStatesBL.dll
That is not an error message. What is it saying about that dll file? Cannot be found?

The MSCONFIG suggestion would not "fix" the problem anyway. If it did anything, it would basically just hide it.

2. Use regedit > open Software heading
"Software heading"? Where do you see that?

And my guess is something in the Registry is looking for hpstatesbl.dll - a run command.

While many would scoff at the suggestion to use a Registry cleaner, I agree with the suggestion to use CCleaner's. Not all Registry cleaners are the same and should not all be lumped together as evil. CCleaner is not aggressive and always prompts to backup the Registry. And restoring from that backup works. You don't have to "fix" everything it finds, if worried.

If you don't want to use CCleaner, you might try RevoUninstaller and remove everything HP, then start over with the new printer. That said, understand Revo is a registry cleaner too.

BTW, I NEVER EVER install the software that comes with any printer. If Windows does not already know how to communicate after detecting the printer, I visit the printer's webpage and download the drivers only. For that HP Office Jet 6830, you can access all the features by entering the printer's IP address in your browser.

Reaction score
Gee thanks.

I got it open now and there is nothing that says, "Software heading". So I ask again for the OP, where do you see that?

Reaction score
click the pointer and open up HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and see for yourself.

Reaction score
Okay but those are not "headers". The headers are Computer, Name, Type and Data.

And if you look under every HKEY, there a Software folder except for HKEY_USERS. But every folder under HKEY_USERS has a software folder. It would take forever to look in each one.

Much easier to look under the "Edit" toolbar dropdown menu and select Find... then search the entire Registry.

Ask a Question