Error: Thread stuck in device driver

Reaction score
I been reading about the same error in others post but is not my same case. I upgrade my windows to 10 a day ago and hours after this error apears 15 seconds after windows starts so doesn't lead me do nothing before the blue window that tells me about the restart of the system. As you understand I can't use my computer and I need it to work and study . How I could solve this situation...? Could any body help me please?

Thank you =)

Reaction score
I am also having the same issue on my laptop and a similar issue on my main pc(can't even get to login screen, haven't had time to try to fix yet). I see the desktop for my laptop for several seconds, icons load and then the thread_stuck_in_device_driver blue screen shows up and then it restarts and does it again once I log in.

I don't suppose you have found a solution? I want to avoid reinstalling everything if I can.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Don't "log in".
At the sign-in screen, hold the shift key on your keyboard and use the Power Icon to choose restart.
After navigating the Advanced Trouble shooting screens to get to Startup Settings and clicking Restart
Choose #4 "Safe Mode"
See if you have the same error when the machine is booted into Safe Mode.
Ignore the "This App can't start" or "This App can't run" messages, just dismiss them as they pertain to Universal Apps that just won't work in Safe Mode.
The object is to see if you get the thread stuck in device driver error message in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Don't "log in".
At the sign-in screen, hold the shift key on your keyboard and use the Power Icon to choose restart.
After navigating the Advanced Trouble shooting screens to get to Startup Settings and clicking Restart
Choose #4 "Safe Mode"
See if you have the same error when the machine is booted into Safe Mode.
Ignore the "This App can't start" or "This App can't run" messages, just dismiss them as they pertain to Universal Apps that just won't work in Safe Mode.
The object is to see if you get the thread stuck in device driver error message in Safe Mode.

Hi, I have the same problem:
Blue screen thread stuck in device driver.
In safe mode everything is OK.
Just after login in normal mode immediately appears the message and the laptop is blocked.
The laptop is ASUS, W10, display adapters are 2:
1.)AMD Radeon HD7400M Series
2.)AMD Radeon HD7640M + AMD Radeon HD7400M Dual Graphics.
Any idea? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In safe mode everything is OK.
The next step would probably be to graduate from Safe Mode to Safe Mode with Networking and make sure that the problem was not present.
Then I think I would use Safe Mode to configure my machine for a Clean Boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Reaction score
The next step would probably be to graduate from Safe Mode to Safe Mode with Networking and make sure that the problem was not present.
Then I think I would use Safe Mode to configure my machine for a Clean Boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Trouble - Thanks for your advice.
I did the things you suggested - all non MS Services and Start-up disabled for the clean boot.
The result is - the crash is earlier, before booting in Normal mode.
The Safe Mode with Networking for my laptop is working perfect, but no way to continue...
sfc /scannow finishes with errors.
the chkdsk freezes sometimes at 18%, sometimes at 32%.
recover stops without a message.
Is there a way to find what's the problem from the Safe mode?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Safe Mode with Networking for my laptop is working perfect
Use Safe Mode with Networking to download and run.....
Display Driver Uninstaller from here
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=578
Afterwards, reboot normally. IF the error does not reappear then that would suggest that the display driver is at fault.
I would suggest that you then make an effort to secure the appropriate Display Driver from your system manufacturer's support website.

Reaction score
Use Safe Mode with Networking to download and run.....
Display Driver Uninstaller from here
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=578
Afterwards, reboot normally. IF the error does not reappear then that would suggest that the display driver is at fault.
I would suggest that you then make an effort to secure the appropriate Display Driver from your system manufacturer's support website.

Thank you.
After running the DDU it's OK - Normal Mode Boot ( it's clean yet) but for 10 minutes.
After 10 min.- black screen and no error message.

Reaction score
Thank you.
After running the DDU it's OK - Normal Mode Boot ( it's clean yet) but for 10 minutes.
After 10 min.- black screen and no error message.
So, I found that the current Display Driver is MS Basic Display Adapter.
In 10 min. after reboot starts the process Module Driver Installer - it installs the Radeon Driver, suppose from the network and the display becomes black and is blocked, a reboot is needed.
The reboot freezes and I have to do once again SafeMode-DDU-Restart and it works for another 10 minutes.

Reaction score
So, I found that the current Display Driver is MS Basic Display Adapter.
In 10 min. after reboot starts the process Module Driver Installer - it installs the Radeon Driver, suppose from the network and the display becomes black and is blocked, a reboot is needed.
The reboot freezes and I have to do once again SafeMode-DDU-Restart and it works for another 10 minutes.
I contacted the ASUS support and they told me - my laptop 2 years old, does not support w10 !!!
So they can't give any support to W10 !!
Now I'm trying to install AMD-tools...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now I'm trying to install AMD-tools...
Good luck...
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with AMD Graphics cards nor with ASUS laptops.
IF you provide all the information regarding your systems specs including the details on your video card perhaps someone with more experience with that particular hardware configuration might have something else to add to the discussion.

Reaction score
Good luck...
Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with AMD Graphics cards nor with ASUS laptops.
IF you provide all the information regarding your systems specs including the details on your video card perhaps someone with more experience with that particular hardware configuration might have something else to add to the discussion.
Trouble - Thanks for your advices.
You correctly diagnose the problem : Blue screen thread stuck in device driver.
as a display problem and the DDU that you suggested solved my problem.
I hope that this will help other users with the Blue screen thread stuck in device driver..
But what I didn't expected is that a relatively new ASUS laptop will not support the W10 and the ASUS site don't mention it. Now my laptop works but only with the display drivers: MS Basic Display Adapter. When the AMD tools try to update the driver to the correct:
1.)AMD Radeon HD7400M Series
2.)AMD Radeon HD7640M + AMD Radeon HD7400M Dual Graphics
the laptop freezes and I have to do: SafeMode-DDU-Restart.

Reaction score
Just go to safe mode and do a clean boot. And by any chance you still experiencing a crash then just reinstall your windows and see what happens.

Ask a Question