SOLVED Ersatz default program page

Reaction score
I was web browsing and a page popped up asking me to select default web browser and some other defaults. Was not paying attention and clicked on Firefox, etc. Now every file on the desktop has a firefox logo on it and when I attempt to open the files they try to open in the firefox browser. I has not changed the default programs in Control Panel and changing control panel settings makes no difference.

What is it, how do i disable it and/or delete the software.

I would like my computer back.

Thanks in advance for any effective remedies.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Gilbert,

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to reset default apps for your Web browsing then:
  • Left-click on Start
  • Left-click on the Settings cog
  • Left-click on System
  • In the left pane click on Default apps
  • In the right pane scroll down to Web Browser

Here you can either left-click on the current browser which will cause a window to pop up where you can select another browser, or if there are no other browser choices here then beneath the Web Browser there is a Reset button which resets all apps to Microsoft's default settings.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32 for instructions, but I found the culprit - "Set program access and computer defaults". It overrides the default settings so I did whatever and now the defaults are as they should be. Seems like a redundant if not vexatious level of complexity that serves no purpose other than to keep the techies happy.

Ask a Question