ESD to ISO

Reaction score
You can make your own Windows 10 ISO from the recovery ESD file. The necessaries are all there.

I use this procedure. There have been follow up posts that it did not work for some, which I could not fathom. I have used this for a long time and it has never failed. (Best to prepare a dedicated folder for this.)

The needed file is too big to upload here, so download and unzip it from here: See post #7 below.

to the prepared folder.
Open an elevated command prompt and navigate to the prepared folder.
ESDtoISO C:\RecoveryImage\install.esd (First check that the file is, indeed, in that folder!)
Eventually you will see the command: Select (i)so or (Q)uit. Obviously you select "i"

In some cases, the command panel may report errors. You can ignore these, should it happen.

The process takes a while, according to your equipment. With my average gear, it takes about ten minutes. At that stage IT IS NOT complete. Wait and it will say exporting image, with a percentage countdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I read that one a couple of months ago and I found Kari's tutorial a bit confusing and complicated.
Since then I search the net and I found this one. I have been using this method ever since.
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/03/20/windows-10-build-10041-create-iso-file-using-esd-image/
The tutorial is for build 10041. However, other than procedure #1, the method is applicable to any build.
Just ignore Procedure #1. Instead, go to RecoveryImage folder, copy and paste the Installed.esd to a designated folder, then follow the rest of the steps.
It is so simple comparing to Kari's tutorial.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave.

I had to join simply to correct you.

I am not the author of the script, nor is my friend Gav (link in your previous post is to his profile). The only thing about the authorship I told you was how we do these things at the TenForums.com where you crabbed this tool from my tutorial: if we are not authors of a tool or a script, we mention it very clearly. Credits where they belong. That's why I tell in the beginning of my tutorial that this script is originally from some members of MDL forums, and the version in my tutorial which you nicely copied and offer here as yours is only an edited and simplified version of this original script. I have only edited it, I am not the author.

I can accept that we have different ways to work and present us online, I am in no position to tell you how to do things. I just wanted to correct this invalid information.

Kari

P.S. You might want to edit your first post, it has at the moment false instructions. I guess you had originally used the first version of my edited script where there really was only two choices, press I for an ISO or Q to quit. But as you now have posted link to my latest edit of the script, it has three options to choose and none of them is either I or Q: you can select 1 for a WIM based ISO, 2 for an ESD based ISO, or 0 to quit.

Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification.

I cannot edit as edit possibilities expire in this forum, but, with this post, I will ask the Admin to delete the post. OK?
And my apologies. Like the majority, most help given, is as a result of googling (which anyone can do, of course) , unless it is already in my own Dbase.

Reaction score
Thank you for the input, David. I also use an alternative method. There are several different approaches to the issue, all based, approximately, on the same procedure. Like so many "help" items, it is not under any kind of copyright or protection.

Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
David I have edited your post #1, hopefully to your satisfaction and referenced your post #7 above as a source for the download.
Hope that's alright.

Last edited:

Ask a Question