Even after upgrade to windows 10 computer often stuck in restart loop

Reaction score
Hello,

You are my last chance, please help <3

My windows 7 PC was hard to start and restart and I needed to try 10 times or more before it worked (then I didn't restart it for days).

I managed to upgrade it to Windows 10 hoping that it will cure the problem BUT still it is a problem to start.

I checked everything and used every tool possible on windows 7 and windows 10 but nothing helped. (ccleaner and others failed)

So now I have a windows 10 PC that doesn't want to start easily.

Do you think that the problem can really be a driver ? After upgrade to windows 10 I GUESS that all driver files have been changed ?

So what else could it be ?

Thank you so much for your help !

Reaction score
Hello,

You are my last chance, please help <3

My windows 7 PC was hard to start and restart and I needed to try 10 times or more before it worked (then I didn't restart it for days).

It could be a driver. Engineers like to invoke "timing issues" as an excuse for inconsistent behavior. It could be that some driver has to synchronize with something that happens too early or too late sometimes. It could also be a hardware issue. Or even a cable connection. A loose connection could make a signal echo, thereby confusing the electronics.
Is it sensitive to temperature? A hot computer is not a happy computer. Make sure your computer is clean, not clogged with dust.
I have the same kind of problem on my HP Pavilion. It "restarts" OK, but cold boot from power off sometimes makes it go bananas, and it shuts itself off. Sometimes it works OK.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

I managed to upgrade it to Windows 10 hoping that it will cure the problem BUT still it is a problem to start.
I'm sorry, but.....
I have never, in my personal experience, found that performing an upgrade on a problem computer ever did anything except bring the problems along with it and in some cases even made the problems worse.

Along with any number of hardware problems, some of which BobD has already enumerated, you may have a hard disk issue.
It could be faulty and or failing.
Personally, I'd start there and start by first......
Backing up anything I considered critical data.
Then I would either, in-place or by removing it and attaching it to another system run the native Check Disk utility against it to see if there were any problems.
chkdsk C: /R
where C: is your OS drive / partition.
You might also want to check with the drive manufacturer, sometimes they have some utilities that might help further inspect the drive (Seagate = Seatools).

You may have a faulty or failing PSU (Power Supply Unit)
You may have some bad memory modules or possibly even a bad memory slot on your motherboard. You could use something like http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm to investigate that.
The motherboard may be in need of a BIOS (firmware) update.
You may just have a bunch of junk startup items that need to be stopped.
I would suggest that you boot into safemode or maybe safemode with networking just to see if things work a little more reliably.
you can use
msconfig
boot tab
to set the machine to boot into safemode by simply checking the box and ticking the radio button for networking, although you may want to leave off the networking option initially when testing.

Reaction score
Dear everyone, You are my last chance! I am also stuck in an endless loop after installing windows 10 and I called the microsoft helpdesk and got disconnected 5 times and got no results. They told me to reboot my Dell laptop by taking out the battery trying to start it up and take out the charger and to repeat for 3 times until it goes into repair mode. What happens is that it says that it's going into repair mode and then gives me the error of wdf_violation (maybe it really is a WTF violation :) and then the screen goes blank again. Nothing is getting repaired and I don't make it any further than hearing the windows start up standard sound, because the screen stays blank. Any suggestions out there? I wouldn't even know how to restore a previous version because I am not a computer wizard by any means... Could it be that i had a bad or a virus version of windows 10 which killed my entire laptop? And if so, what can be done anyway? How do I even get out of this loop? And if I wanted to wipe the entire disk, how do I do that?

Please someone - help me!

gratefully yours,
Mindy

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Mindy and welcome to the forum.
IF you are unable to stop the boot loop then you will need to boot to an alternate resource other than your hard disk.
For that you will need either a Recovery Disc if you created one or else you will need the installation media

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
CommandPrompt.JPG

I'd first recommend the Startup Settings to see if booting into Safe Mode might help. Since you seem to be having a Windows Driver Foundation Error, booting with minimal drivers active might help.

Ask a Question