Event Error ID 63, for application not running

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an error message in my Event Viewer about a program I was not using, have not used in months. The error itself doesn't really concern me, as much as why was that .dll file even being looked at? Why are background processes using up my resources looking at something I'm not using, and if I choose to delete the program folder (which I would have next time I cleaned up my files), is there some legitimate process that depends on it?

Here's what I'm seeing:

Log Name: Application
Source: SideBySide
Date: 2017-04-13 11:14:59 AM
Event ID: 63
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: *mine
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\r\r-3.2.2\tcl\bin64\tk85.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files\r\r-3.2.2\tcl\bin64\tk85.dll" on line 9. The value "x64" of attribute "processorArchitecture" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">63</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-04-13T15:14:59.611192000Z" />
<EventRecordID>9712</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>*still mine</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>assemblyIdentity</Data>
<Data>processorArchitecture</Data>
<Data>x64</Data>

<Data>c:\program files\r\r-3.2.2\tcl\bin64\tk85.dll</Data>
<Data>c:\program files\r\r-3.2.2\tcl\bin64\tk85.dll</Data>
<Data>9</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I haven't used the program R in over a year. At approximately the time of this event, I was navigating through a fix from another thread (about Event ID 10010), without actually making any changes. I opened/closed edge, chrome, command prompt, control panel, the registry editor, and of course the event viewer, but I was just looking around. I'm not very familiar with any of this (why I found the thread so interesting and was looking around, I've never seen the event viewer before and used the regedit maybe twice in my life), so if my question requires more information, pls be specific about where to find it! Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Yahnny,

Welcome to the Forum.

The tk85.dll is not a Windows library file, so can be removed if that is your wish.

Judging by the error message you're receiving in regards to it, by best guess is the original installation either:
  • Created a startup application
  • Creates a new Task the starts on log on
  • Or added entries to the Registry which call on that particular driver or the R program itself that are not yet removed from your System.

The actual bug is a known one though and Microsoft way back in Windows 7 days had suggested a work-around would be to downgrade the MSVC Runtime Library as the program had been distributed without this library but was of an age it was not compatible with the newer MSVC Runtime Library.

If you're not using the program uninstall it properly, then remove any remnants left behind and check your Registry has no orphaned data pertaining to the R program or the tk85.dll.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question