Event id 41 (63) BSOD WD failure.

Reaction score
Have a very frustrating issue on my Windows 10 desktop PC.
It crashes regularly with BSOD and WD failure displayed on screen. Associated with it in event viewer is event id 41 (63)
See below
System
-
Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
EventID 41
Version 4
Level 1
Task 63
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000400000000002
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2017-03-14T16:58:29.225745400Z
EventRecordID 2990
Correlation
-
Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8
Channel System
Computer DESKTOP-VP49S44
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
BugcheckCode
BugcheckParameter1 0x1
BugcheckParameter2 0x1e00
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
Hope i have captured correct fault details rather than one when i pressed reset button to reboot pc.

Initially thought it was the SSD drive so reinstalled windows 10 Pro but same issue. Then loaded windows on to a standard hard disk and it appeared ok for over a week so i purchased a new SSD. Again fresh install on W10 Pro but soon had same issue with BSOD.
Eventually removed the video card a PCI-E X16 Nvidia card and all then went back to normal although seem to remember removing that earlier in the diagnostic process and it had no effect. Now i am using the on board video on my Asus mo bo.
All has been ok for a couple of week so decide to go for a new video card. Plugged it in today and within 10 minutes again had BSOD and error 41. Air very blue!
I suspect most will say psu but i did swop it for a spare again early in the diagnosis process and had no effect. It is a 450w unit and should have plenty of power to cope with demand required. I did also remove all other hardware Ie DVD, other hard drives etc to minimise load on the psu.
Running with minimum start up enabled but looks as if issue is video related, slot related or power although definitely worse when booting from an SSD.
Anyone got any suggestions.

Reaction score
Need all your hardware system specs....complete system specs.
Screenshot 2017-03-14 18.49.49.png

Reaction score
May not be important but occasionally the mouse and keyboard go completely unresponsive for a few seconds and then ok. Not sure if its connected. Doesn't appear to give any critical events in event log and doesn't lead to a crash. This is without the video card in as well.
In addition to hardware shown above i have 4 GB RAM which i have swapped with known good ones. Without video card it shows 3.75GB.

Reaction score
Tried first one and it reported that the 5v was 9.5 volts although bios shows it correct.
Hwinfo reports all voltages ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Screen shots of HWinfo with graphics card installed. Ran for about 10 minutes ok. When i had internet browser open on one screen and Outlook on other screens frooze and then eventually rebooted with a BSOD watchdog failure.
Screenshot 2017-03-15 10.16.34.png
Screenshot 2017-03-15 10.16.48.png
Screenshot 2017-03-15 10.17.43.png

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yep.....you have a mobo that's not supported for windows 10. The OS it's rated for is 8.1 and earlier. Same as my Asus M4N78 Pro.

There is no BIOS for 10 for it....which got me thinking. Do you have the latest BIOS installed? Then there is no chipset driver for it. It's a wonder you got 10 to run on it at all. My Asus mobo would not let it install.

This may be your underlying factor for all your issues.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Even for windows 8.1 there is only a BIOS update....for you mobo you have to go back to windows 7 for all your drivers.

Reaction score
Hi,
Well spotted. Assumed as it upgraded with no issues , then it would not be an problem.
Has been running on W10 since it was generally available from MS as an upgrade and only been displaying these latest problems for about a month which is a bit puzzling.
I am not on the latest bios but note that all the later upgrades are only for CPU support. May as well upgrade it anyway.
It is running ok though with the on board video which still allows me to use 2 monitors so looks as if i will have to keep an eye out for a new mo bo, cpu and memory upgrade in the near future.
Thanks again although still stumped as to why its just started happening!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Some of those BIOS updates are directly related to the CPU chipset (for certain cpu models).....which in-turn may help out with some of your recent 10 issues.

When windows 8/8.1 came out....MS recommended that vendors do a BIOS update which then they passed along to the users.

Reaction score
Just found the bios updater. In the tools menu. of bios.
Where else?
Now discovered that i am actually on 2101 which is latest.
Looks like new mo bo, cpu. mem etc when funds allow.

Ask a Question